Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS inop light and parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS inop light and parking brake light

1998 camaro. I just bought 15x10 and 15x3.75 racestars. Had to grind the rear calipers and even the little metal tabs, took me a couple tries but i dont have any more grinding noise. However, at any random time, the ABS INOP and the parking brake light both will illuminate. Turn the car off, then start it back up and the lights are off. Drive down the road and they'll randomly illuminate again.
Not sure where to even start with this. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd first be sure that the front and rear tire diameters are close in size. Do a search to see what the limit is before it sets off the ABS light.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you running smaller diameter tires up front (or way bigger rear)? If you have ABS but the tires are smaller and the revolutions are a lot different, maybe the ABS thinks there is a brake issue. I've had those lights come on at a road course after a few hot laps. I think the ABS got confused because of super hard (and hot) braking.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Not an uncommon issue when running two different tire diameters like others have mentioned.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same issue about a year ago, but I was running 17's all around. Turns out I needed an ABS module. It comes off the abs pump with 4 hex type screws on the driver side. I dont have the part number but get you a new AC delco one if all your wheel speed sensors are good and you have matching diameter wheels and tires.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just a side note, when those lights come on the car is very dangerous. If you hit the brakes hard and lock them up, it'll likely throw you in a spin (ask me how I know). So please be careful when you hit the brakes because it is dangerous.

Quick Reply: ABS inop light and parking brake light