Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handles like a boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Pontiac428
That's the way the car was set up when I purchased it. I just put new rear tires on it that are the same size as the old ones. I don't think it has traction control. If it does it's doesn't work.
You inherited a high-maintenance configuration, then. Before going any further, I would confirm your original traction control status via the RPO codes on the door, just in case. (Presumably, you don't have TCS because you would have run in to that during your rear end swap.)

I'd also figure out what is up with your ABS and if it was deleted previously.

Your tires aren't that far apart in circumference brand new. (2.6" delta) If they were close enough to not cause the ABS system fits originally, going with worn fronts and new rears could increase the differential just enough to start causing problems for you.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I knew more about the car...man that owned it passed away. It's been lowered, cat delete, LT headers, heads, cam and so on. Low miles too so suspension wise it's in good shape for the year.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Car feels like the tires are really low on air...that's the best way I can describe it.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Car feels like the tires are really low on air...that's the best way I can describe it.
What air pressure are you running in the tires front and rear? Go outside and check now, don't just assume.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Teching In

35 rear 35 front
Old 09-05-2016, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lower it to 30psi front and rear and take a drive.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 348 Likes on 319 Posts

Wish I knew more about the car...man that owned it passed away. It's been lowered, cat delete, LT headers, heads, cam and so on. Low miles too so suspension wise it's in good shape for the year.
You probably should take the car to a speed shop, then, which deals in these kinds of modifications and can decypher the puzzle. Without a clear picture of what's on the car and what's been deleted, reprogrammed, tuned, etc. from the computers/systems, we'd just be playing whack-a-mole with this problem. (Particularly since you've had the car up and everything seems intact.)

There may be just a few simple things to try/explanations for your feel:

Your new tires on the rear will have more grip than balding tires. (I presume this is why you replaced them.) If so, they will feel like a "flatter" tire that would have more grip of the road, particularly with worn fronts that will slide around more than the new rears.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Ok, tire pressure seemed to help some...still seems sloppy to me compared to the way it was before it went in the shop for new rear tires. The tires on the front look new but they are not. I believe by the date code on the tires they are 6 years old. As far as a speed shop goes for tuning I don't have a clue who I can take it to and trust them. I live in the Jacksonville FL area so I guess I will do some research.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, tire pressure seemed to help some...still seems sloppy to me compared to the way it was before it went in the shop for new rear tires. The tires on the front look new but they are not. I believe by the date code on the tires they are 6 years old. As far as a speed shop goes for tuning I don't have a clue who I can take it to and trust them. I live in the Jacksonville FL area so I guess I will do some research.
If they are 6 years old, the rubber has hardened and deteriorated. ie: lost its ability to 'grip'.

Quick Reply: Handles like a boat