Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

advice on re-doing front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default advice on re-doing front suspension

on 2002 ss with 80k miles, stock except for S60 rear with umi rear control arms, tq arm, panhard bar all adjustable.
i replaced sagging bilstein rear springs last year with oem ones,
and replaced original rack & pinion this spring, so there's new tire rods.
i'm getting a parts list together to do the front suspension this winter:

1) will be front springs not sure which yet, not really looking for a performance spring nor a lowering spring, just something to restore ride quality and comfort on crappy CT roads. the duralast oem replacements i'm happy with in the rear for body height.

2) thinking of KYB AGX adjustable shocks all around, 741034 for the front and 743019 for the rear. Car has SLP bilstein shocks from the SLP suspension package when i bought the car new.

3) have moog front control arm bushings and moog ball joints selected on rock auto. since i'm that far in is there any reason i should not do this? i have a RPW smart camber-caster tool so i will be doing my own alignment.

4) any other things i should do... besides tires which i'm thinking of the original goodyears if they are still available... and besides front wheel hubs which i don't think i need but could always replace easy enough later on.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this thread for starters. It does address installing Konis but should give you a good idea on parts such as bushings and ball joints which you said you already have. This will also list parts like the shock mounts if you wish to replace them. It was a great starting point for me when I planned out my front suspension project.

And yes, do it all while you are in there. I changed my inner and outer tie rods, all bushings and ball joints. I even cleaned up the upper arms, lower arms, and steering knuckles. It took me a bit working on it a little at a time but in the end I am EXTREMELY glad I did it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-6-5-15-a.html
Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

From my understanding the KYB is a step backwards from the Bilstien is terms of quality
Old 09-06-2016, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New KYB vs new bilsteins, yes they are a step backward. New kyb vs shot bilsteins, will be a bit of an improvement. But they are cheap for an adjustable set ($379 for all 4 from Sam Strano vs $385 for a full set of bilstein non adjustables).

Personally I'd go Koni STR.T even though they aren't adjustable. Its just a question of availability on whether anyone still has the fronts. Tire rack is even still running the Koni sale so they are $322 vs $390. They just wont have the fronts til 9/23.

Quick Reply: advice on re-doing front suspension