Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

steet suspension upgrade and oem axle vs heavy aftermarket axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default steet suspension upgrade and oem axle vs heavy aftermarket axle

a while back i needed a new ring & pinion in the rear axle on my 2002 ss.
I went with a strange s60 axle.
I have no plans to run the car at a drag strip nor autox, my goals now are a comfortable summer semi-daily driver so I don't really need the s60 axle.

My next project is to update the suspension primarily springs & shocks.
I'm wondering since the s60 rear weighing the 250+ lbs that it does,
if i wanted to do it right would i be better off rebuilding the oem 10-bolt axle and using that when i go with whatever coil-over shock setup all around?
Looking mostly at viking, and maybe ridetech.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ridetech and viking aren't in the same league IMO. Do you want coilovers? If not Koni STR.Ts or bilsteins with BMR, UMI or Strano springs would get you what you want. If you're set on coilovers, ridetech, UMI/Strano or KW would be the way to go. Unless you want coilovers and want to focus on straightline performance, then look at viking or strange or qa1 or whatever.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you saying coil overs are only good for running the car in a straight line?

i am considering adjustable coil-overs so i can play with ride height,
rather than go with a traditional spring where i may or may not be happy with the given ride height.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

rather than go with a traditional spring where i may or may not be happy with the given ride height.
Nope, in fact I'm running coilovers and could care less about straight lines or height adjustment. But qa1s, vikings and strange coilovers are geared towards good weight transfer for traction at the strip. Ridetech, UMI/Strano, KWs or the really high end stuff is a great way to get awesome handling and be able to play with your height. That said if you can find a spring/shock combo that gives you a height you're happy with its a cheaper way to get a sharp handling car, plus there are lots of examples of people cutting low 60 foot times on koni yellow/strano combos.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
ridetech and viking aren't in the same league IMO. Do you want coilovers? If not Koni STR.Ts or bilsteins with BMR, UMI or Strano springs would get you what you want. If you're set on coilovers, ridetech, UMI/Strano or KW would be the way to go. Unless you want coilovers and want to focus on straightline performance, then look at viking or strange or qa1 or whatever.
This^

Originally Posted by 1 FMF

Reread it, hes not saying that at all.
Not all shocks/coilovers are the same.
Higher end street/handling coilovers like Ridetech, KW, penski, and the new UMI/Strano custom coilovers are in a different league than the non-gas charged (see shock fade) drag coilovers like viking, QA1, strange etc.
Its how they are made, how they are valved and how the actual adjuster works when adjusting the dampening of the shock.
This is something that a guy like Sam Strano can go over in detail with you on the phone, its worth a call.

Quick Reply: steet suspension upgrade and oem axle vs heavy aftermarket axle