Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C6 base rotor on C5 brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C6 base rotor on C5 brake conversion

Hi,

I read that the C6 base model Corvette front rotors are more robust than the C5 Corvette rotors. I believe they are a bit heavier (more metal for heat) and the vanes and center are of a more performance design.

Is this true? I have Corvette brake conversion on my Camaro and it is time for new rotors. Currently have C5 rotors but if the C6's are better, I would like to use those. Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will get Ramey (UMI Tech) to reply to this. If I recall correctly there are three different C6 style calipers, one being the most robust. I will pass this on to him and let him chime in.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
I will get Ramey (UMI Tech) to reply to this. If I recall correctly there are three different C6 style calipers, one being the most robust. I will pass this on to him and let him chime in.
Hi Ryan, thank you however i am asking about the brake ROTORs, not the calipers. I am sure Ramey will have the answer to this as well, so thanks!

basically, C6 base model front BRAKE ROTORS vs C5. Are they better and can i use them? Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original base C6 rotors had thicker "cheeks" (the surface the pads wear against) and they were heavier and a more durable rotor. The base C6 brakes (not the Z51 or Z06 version) are a replacement for C5 brake rotor.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoops, I'm sorry, my bad! Ramey and I were discussing C6 calipers two weeks ago since we wanted to add them to our Lemans.... so they were on my mind.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

But as I recall the C6 rotors are not curved vaned like the C5's. They are the same thickness overall, the vanes are actually smaller than the C5's so there is less airflow but more mass. It's a trade off of sorts. I stick with C5 stuff most of the time, because they cooler more efficiently. I think GM went to a heavier but less airflow rotor because it saved them some $$$ only having to have one part number for the front and one for the rear where the C5 had 4.

Footnote. This is how GM works and why I think this. My C6Z has only two part number rotors from GM. Trouble is the front is actually curved vane, but meant for the LF... the RF is not only not straight vaned, but the curves are backward which is not good at all. Hell the drilled holes on the RF get plugged with brake dust much more than the LF because of it. And no, I don't love drilled rotors but that's what is required in the class I autocross in. I have slotted ones I run on the track.

I have a ton of rotors. C5 or C6. If you decide on which ping me and we can get you taken care of.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: C6 base rotor on C5 brake conversion