Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

squeaky rear suspension and squeaky brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky rear suspension and squeaky brakes!

Hi guys, just picked up a 99 ta. Has 59k mi on it and a couple weeks owning it I've noticed a ton of squeaking behind me on the driver's side. I swear I heard a metal clunk one time coming to a stop when I had the TTops off once too. The rear end seems floaty on the hwy too. I suspect I need new rear shocks.

Also, the brakes squeal pretty loudly. Does not sound like a normal brake pad squeal but more metallic. Pads in the rear look like they still have some meat on them. The front pads look new. Additionally the rear rotors look a little thin and the rt rear one has a groove in it. I think she needs new rotors.

What do you think and what options do I have to fix these issues without breaking the bank.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-2016, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Doing some research I see that bushings could also be the issue. Are there any kits out there?
Old 11-10-2016, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check all of your bushings and the sway bar end links. These cars are getting old enough now that these pieces are getting deteriorated and allowing excess movement. Rubber begins to squeak, and you begin getting metal to metal contact on some pieces that lead to squeaks and uneven feelings. I would Identify which ones are bad first and replace those, as bushings are not fun to change, and can add up quick

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The factory rear shocks are probably the biggest downfall on these cars IMO. Rear shocks will most likely cure the highway boat feel, plus they're easy to install and don't cost nearly as much as what the fronts cost. Koni Str.t shocks are a good choice to look into, I believe they're in stock as well with some vendors on here.

The clunk/squeaking could be quite a lot of different things. First thing that comes to mind are the rear bump stops, but with your car not having that much mileage, they still might be in good condition. Noises can be caused by literally anything that is loose in the rear of these cars. Again, at 59k miles, I don't expect a bushing to be that far gone that it would make a loud clunk sound tho. They may be starting to deteriorate, but I wouldn't guess to the point where they would be clunking. As BMR said, sway bar bushings and end links would probably be the first to squeak, check those out.

For the rear brakes squealing, check and see that both rear calipers can easily slide on the guide pins. On my other car, one guide pin was stuck inside the caliper bracket which didn't allow the caliper to move freely as it should, and for whatever reason produced a nasty squeal when I pressed on the brakes.

Also, when does the squeaking occur? IE when going over a bump, turning, regular driving?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
The factory rear shocks are probably the biggest downfall on these cars IMO. Rear shocks will most likely cure the highway boat feel, plus they're easy to install and don't cost nearly as much as what the fronts cost. Koni Str.t shocks are a good choice to look into, I believe they're in stock as well with some vendors on here.

The clunk/squeaking could be quite a lot of different things. First thing that comes to mind are the rear bump stops, but with your car not having that much mileage, they still might be in good condition. Noises can be caused by literally anything that is loose in the rear of these cars. Again, at 59k miles, I don't expect a bushing to be that far gone that it would make a loud clunk sound tho. They may be starting to deteriorate, but I wouldn't guess to the point where they would be clunking. As BMR said, sway bar bushings and end links would probably be the first to squeak, check those out.

For the rear brakes squealing, check and see that both rear calipers can easily slide on the guide pins. On my other car, one guide pin was stuck inside the caliper bracket which didn't allow the caliper to move freely as it should, and for whatever reason produced a nasty squeal when I pressed on the brakes.

Also, when does the squeaking occur? IE when going over a bump, turning, regular driving?

Thanks for the tips!

As far as the squeaking, whenever I go over a bump (speed bump, my inclined driveway) and when turning. Basically, whenever therw is load on the right side.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jasonstiller

Thanks for the tips!

As far as the squeaking, whenever I go over a bump (speed bump, my inclined driveway) and when turning. Basically, whenever therw is load on the right side.
So I got under the car and noticed the rear shocks were not stock. The Carfax said shocks were replaced at 48k mi. I wasn't sure if it was the rear shocks or struts when I first read it. Guess it was the rear shocks.

I saw something that looked like it was rotting and rusty. Touched it with my finger and was just falling apart

Freaking gross! This is a view of the driver's side rear. I shimmied over to the other side and it looks the same....I couldn't get any further under to inspect more due to the huge stock muffler hitting my chest. I'll have to jack it up and look but from what I could see, bushings and stuff looked good.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice pics. That helps out a ton. Looks like el cheap shocks ya got there. Don't worry, I had Monroe Sensa-Tracs on mine when I bought it. It was awful. Nice rear bump stops too Looks like they're enjoying life
Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Corvett z07
Nice pics. That helps out a ton. Looks like el cheap shocks ya got there. Don't worry, I had Monroe Sensa-Tracs on mine when I bought it. It was awful. Nice rear bump stops too Looks like they're enjoying life
so those are bumpstops? Ugh well I reckon the squeaks aren't coming from that lol.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonstiller
so those are bumpstops? Ugh well I reckon the squeaks aren't coming from that lol.
were** bumpstops. Pick up some rubber ones from UMI.

Check out your sway bar bushings, LCA bushings and maybe even your sway bar end links. If the bumpstops are that roached the rubber in your other bushings might very well be on it's way out.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar, but faint squeak. I'm pretty sure it was my rear lower control arms.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cals400ex
I had a similar, but faint squeak. I'm pretty sure it was my rear lower control arms.
So, it was my rear sway bar. Snagged a used one 25mm for 80 Bix and had my kid help install it. What a difference and no squeak. Now on to find a 35mm front!

Quick Reply: squeaky rear suspension and squeaky brakes!