Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI Releases New Product: Panhard Bar Lowering/Leveling Kit for the 1982-2002 F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
Do you run your panhard bar on the lowest settings? Also curious which gear your running in the S60?
We've been a few notches up lately. It really does depend on several other factors.

The WS6 currently has 4.11's.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much can you lower the panhard bar with this setup? Also I already have one of your adjustable bars, can I just get #2064 or do I need #2062?
Old 05-04-2017, 04:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
We've been a few notches up lately. It really does depend on several other factors.

The WS6 currently has 4.11's.
what is your recommendation on where to set the panhard bar for a car with strano springs and sway bars and KONI yellows?

I bought this kit is december and haven't put it on yet. hoping to do it soon though
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
How much can you lower the panhard bar with this setup? Also I already have one of your adjustable bars, can I just get #2064 or do I need #2062?
The panhard bar can be lowered a max of 4" and a min of 1-3/4". The 2064 vs 2062 was designed if you already had the 2024 high clearance panhard brace so you didn't have to buy it again.

You can use your existing GM upper brace but it requires cutting and some hot rodding so we don't really recommend that. I don't think we've had anyone attempt this yet. (You'd have to trim the end bushing on the GM stamped brace).
Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
what is your recommendation on where to set the panhard bar for a car with strano springs and sway bars and KONI yellows?

I bought this kit is december and haven't put it on yet. hoping to do it soon though
I checked the UMI Jerry Camaro. Here's where we are:

Of course with so many variables in a chassis, your results may vary. Even driving style changes one's desired roll center height and roll couple distribution preference.

ramey
Old 05-05-2017, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

thank you Ramey.

before i go out to the garage and put the kit on, do you know if the stock swaybar brackets will work? i have the strano swaybar so the D bushings are a bit thicker which space the swaybar away from the axle tube more than stock. i am hoping this will help in clearing the support bracket clamp thats included in the kit
Old 05-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Banned

Hmm. We recommend spacing the bar down. So, it's worth a try to see with the parts you have on hand.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

Default Relocation kit under load

We ran the Midwest Musclecar Challenge this past weekend. Here is the 2062 in action with 315 Rival S's.

Grip was pretty high and the car worked well.

ramey
Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ran the Midwest Musclecar Challenge this past weekend. Here is the 2062 in action with 315 Rival S's.

Grip was pretty high and the car worked well.

ramey
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You guys didn't get the memo? According to watts link users, the arc the panhard rod moves in makes it unusable! Just...just look at that arc! Oh the humanity! I can't believe you guys didn't slide off the track upside down on fire. What you guys need is a watts link!(sarcasm off)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChrisRZ28
Whoa, whoa, whoa! You guys didn't get the memo? According to watts link users, the arc the panhard rod moves in makes it unusable! Just...just look at that arc! Oh the humanity! I can't believe you guys didn't slide off the track upside down on fire. What you guys need is a watts link!(sarcasm off)
We are indeed pretty happy with the performance. Having the roll center height in the correct range really helps keep the rear from stepping out.

Our Watts Link is also on the drawing board so we will have the ability to cover both options.

ramey
Old 05-25-2017, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The cool thing is you can see the tire flex in and out but the bracket on the panhard bar stays stationary with no movement. We are very happy with the final design.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not out flogging my car like you guys... just spirited driving, but I'm enjoying the results and build quality.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dojob
I'm not out flogging my car like you guys... just spirited driving, but I'm enjoying the results and build quality.
Nice! Thanks. We figure if it can withstand this stuff it'll be bulletproof for spirited corner carving.

ramey
Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

We are indeed pretty happy with the performance. Having the roll center height in the correct range really helps keep the rear from stepping out.

Our Watts Link is also on the drawing board so we will have the ability to cover both options.

ramey
Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The cool thing is you can see the tire flex in and out but the bracket on the panhard bar stays stationary with no movement. We are very happy with the final design.
I wish you guys would have came out with this several years ago. It would have saved me the effort of having to make the chassis side bracket. I bought the axle bracket from, I think, Jegs if I remember right. Unbalanced Engineering had the set, but it was more then I wanted to pay at the time. Shocks, springs and sway bars are a given, but when I lowered the PHB the back felt so much more planted and stable. One of the best mods for the money. Umi, I have this idea for all the doubting thomas' out there with regards about the arc that a PHB travels in (because ya know, it's inferior after all) vs the straight up and down motion of a watts link. Two cars, everything identical, except one has a lowered PHB and the other a watts. Then invite average joes to drive each one and see if they can tell the difference between the two. I'm guessing they wouldn't be able to. You guys can make this happen! What do ya say?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default late to the party I know...

"Exclusive weld-in reinforcement plate (required for competition use)"

Do you have any pictures of where this plate installs? Is it on the chassis side panhard bar mount factory bracket?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Good morning. Thanks for the question. It welds under the axle bracket. Our testing showed a lot of twist in there so we lasered out a reinforcement to box that up.

Let me know if you have any questions.

thx

ramey

Weld in reinforcement for UMI PHB lowering and leveling kit.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Ramey!

Need to tell your website guys to add the LS1/no notch thirdgen strut tower brace (p/n 2009). I'm loving mine that you helped me get!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Banned

As luck would have it, we did the photography for that brace and will be putting it on the website very soon.

As a matter of fact we have a lot of new products coming out...

ramey
Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I keep hoping that someone will release a completely straight upper panhard brace that is compatible with the stock PHB mounts, allows the same amount of additional exhaust clearance and has the minimum required weight for it to be adequately strong. The reason I'm looking for straight is because a crew chief in CA said that the S shape in the common upper braces mimics a spring and can bucket under high lateral forces. What prevents a straight upper brace?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

The location of the bolts. A straight brace cuts into exhaust clearance.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: UMI Releases New Product: Panhard Bar Lowering/Leveling Kit for the 1982-2002 F-Body