Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Feels like a tank. Time for a refresh

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels like a tank. Time for a refresh

Bought a 2000 TA recently and the thing feels like a tank on the road. Currently the car has MT ET streets on the rear and skinnys on the front (not sure what tire off the top of my head). The car is also lowered with unknown springs. I'm going to be restoring the car to factory height to gain some ground clearance with the aftermarket exhaust. I'm also more than likely going to be getting rid of the wheels and tires since I have no intention of drag racing it. I can imagine the new springs and wheels/tires are going to be 90% of the difference maker, but what would be the next item that would have the most impact on ride quality? I know this is a pretty general question that could have a million answers, but I'm trying to establish a check list of items to check and replace from most impact to least. I don't want to go and replace every bushing if I don't have to.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shocks are #1

tires are springs follow
Old 12-18-2016, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
shocks are #1

tires are springs follow
I've never lowered a vehicle before. Is it typical to replace shocks with specific shocks for lowering or is it typical to just further compress the factory shocks?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shocks need to be able to control spring rates, worn out OEM shocks won't be up to the task.

If you don't know the spring make/model... spend ~$200 and get new springs. Koni oranges or yellows are best bang for buck shocks.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check if you have a front swaybar as well, the po could have removed it since the car is setup for drag. That will make a massive difference as well.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Springs, shocks and sway bars are the biggest factors that influence ride quality. Double check and see if the front sway bar has been removed. If it has, you will want to replace it as it will cause a loose and floaty feel in the car. If they are still there, then just doing shocks and springs will make the most dramatic difference in feel

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I recommend along with all the great advice given so far is to lose weight... the car that is. I've taken nearly 80lbs off the nose end of my car and while slightly noticeable on the street, it makes a huge difference at the track (the kind with corners). If anything go for a lightweight battery. Replaced my 50lb Optima with a 5lb Shorai and couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Feels like a tank. Time for a refresh