Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Watt's Link question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Watt's Link question

A lot of F-bodies sit roughly 1/2 - 3/4" lower in the passenger side rear compared to the driver side rear. Would a Watt's Link correct this condition?
Old 12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No. You can fix it with coilovers or spacers, I wouldn't worry about it though.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackandgold
No. You can fix it with coilovers or spacers, I wouldn't worry about it though.
I tried a ~1/2" spacer on the lower side and it didn't work -- the lower side still stayed lower by about the same amount. I suspect this is due to the panhard setup / geometry, but have not confirmed this.

For what it's worth I also tried swapping springs from one side to the other and that did not help either.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtirocz
I tried a ~1/2" spacer on the lower side and it didn't work -- the lower side still stayed lower by about the same amount. I suspect this is due to the panhard setup / geometry, but have not confirmed this.

For what it's worth I also tried swapping springs from one side to the other and that did not help either.
Did you loosen all the bolts on the bushings of your LCAs, PHB, etc... when you installed the spacer to make sure there wasn't any bind on the rubber bushings?

As far as swapping springs, it's typically more of a unibody issue which you can "fix" by running a taller spring on one side than the other. Have you measured the heights with and without a driver in the seat?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Did you loosen all the bolts on the bushings of your LCAs, PHB, etc... when you installed the spacer to make sure there wasn't any bind on the rubber bushings?

As far as swapping springs, it's typically more of a unibody issue which you can "fix" by running a taller spring on one side than the other. Have you measured the heights with and without a driver in the seat?
Thanks for that advice. I will plan to loosen everything you mentioned and retighten with the suspension loaded and car level.

I think I could test my theory by loosening the PBH alone.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

No, lateral locating decices (PHB, watts link) have absolutely zero effect on ride height.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel like it's the axle mounting points if anything, not the chassis mounting points. If the axle perches are not perfectly strait up and down this can bend the spring and cause differences in ride height.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
No, lateral locating decices (PHB, watts link) have absolutely zero effect on ride height.
This. You can take the panhard bar completely off the car and it will still sit the same. The ride height variation is one of the mysteries of these cars. Many of them do it, and noone has been able to find a good reason why. Watts link/PHB will just fix rear end centering variations caused by ride height differences, but won't do anything for the ride height

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I feel like it's the axle mounting points if anything, not the chassis mounting points. If the axle perches are not perfectly strait up and down this can bend the spring and cause differences in ride height.
I haven't heard that explanation for this issue before, but the f-body lean is just weirdness. I should have measured mine with the stock shocks and springs when I swapped my axle assembly. But the short answer to the OP is still the same, and I think really the only way to make it even would be to do coilovers and make one way longer than the other, not sure how that would ride though.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Orientation of the rear spring pigtail can have an effect on ride height.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Front spring symmetry can also affect ride height. It's a pain, but if you swap the fronts you can decide if one of the springs is sagging.

ramey
Old 12-20-2016, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
Front spring symmetry can also affect ride height. It's a pain, but if you swap the fronts you can decide if one of the springs is sagging.

ramey
True. Happens with trucks all the time

Quick Reply: Watt's Link question