Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New tie rod ends dont have castle nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New tie rod ends dont have castle nuts

I didn't even notice until I went to install the new tie rod end that the damn thing didn't have the hole for the cotter pin. I reused the stock castle nut not thinking about it looking for the hole. I'm pretty sure I over tourqed it. It came with a lock nut so I took off the castle nut and installed the lock nut. Kinda worried these will back out or I over tourqed it. As you can tell, I've never replaced these before..should I take apart and start over with new lock nuts and proper tq specs. I think these are one time use lock nuts.

Last edited by edzsilverss; 12-29-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Teching In

A lot of aftermarket tie rods come with nylock style nuts, if your concerned just put some red Loctite on the threads
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Half-Fast
A lot of aftermarket tie rods come with nylock style nuts, if your concerned just put some red Loctite on the threads
I'm more concerned that I over tourqed the bolt. It's days 35lb and I'm sure it's way over that. Can they be too tight? Just got in a damn hurry and didn't think about it..I might new nylocks and use some blue loctite and use the tq wrench..
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Teching In

ive never seen it really be and issue unless its an aluminum knuckle. guys usually run them down with an impact
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

ive never seen it really be and issue unless its an aluminum knuckle. guys usually run them down with an impact
Ok cool. I will drive it as is for a while and re check em. If the steering is not right and the bolts didn't move I will leave it..thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 11:09 AM
Teching In

You should still get an alignment if you didn't already do so. even if you kept the jam nut in the same place all tie rods aren't the same size
Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

You should still get an alignment if you didn't already do so. even if you kept the jam nut in the same place all tie rods aren't the same size
Mine were the exact same size..If it pulls one way or the other I will for sure. Gonna see how everything feels Saturday. I'm going to get tires put on my new wheels and get them on.

Quick Reply: New tie rod ends dont have castle nuts