Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats a good rear lca angle for a 4th gen thats geared towards handling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Whats a good rear lca angle for a 4th gen thats geared towards handling

I understand that a level or an angle that slightly points down towards the rear is good for handling but not for traction, and vise versa for increasing the angle. I have vikings on all 4 corners. Not sure how dropped i have it now but it is lowered. With the angle finder i hit a few spots on my car and got that im sitting at +1.... The lcas are at -2, making a negative 3 angle. While i think this is good considering i care more about street driving than traction, i may wanna lower it more which would put it closer to zero or make it possitive whice isnt good.

So anybody have an angle range that works for street? Like maybe -1 to like -7? I know it is preference but looking for ideas. If i put the lca in a lower relocation hole as the car sits, the angle will be higher than i want for the steeet.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
I understand that a level or an angle that slightly points down towards the rear is good for handling but not for traction, and vise versa for increasing the angle. I have vikings on all 4 corners. Not sure how dropped i have it now but it is lowered. With the angle finder i hit a few spots on my car and got that im sitting at +1.... The lcas are at -2, making a negative 3 angle. While i think this is good considering i care more about street driving than traction, i may wanna lower it more which would put it closer to zero or make it possitive whice isnt good.

So anybody have an angle range that works for street? Like maybe -1 to like -7? I know it is preference but looking for ideas. If i put the lca in a lower relocation hole as the car sits, the angle will be higher than i want for the steeet.
Based on what I've researched, for handling/road course, you want the LCAs to be as flat as possible, 0*. If you can't get zero degrees, then make it as close to zero with any tilt being the end at the axle lower than at the frame/body.... if that makes sense. For drag racing, you want maximum anti-squat, which would be having the axle side as low as the LCA brackets allow.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Tail down it not the best for handling, it promotes roll oversteer. Big reason that I don't abide by the whole "you have to have LCA brackets" line.

Not sure where you read that. But I don't agree with it.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Tail down it not the best for handling, it promotes roll oversteer. Big reason that I don't abide by the whole "you have to have LCA brackets" line.

Not sure where you read that. But I don't agree with it.
So as close to 0 as possible?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
So as close to 0 as possible?
Zero is fine, but having the body side lower than the axle side is what is better for handling and make the car easier to drive hard (so you don't need rear LCA brackets). This is the opposite of what is ideal for launching however.
Also while on topic of handling, I would ditch those vikings ASAP and switch to a gas charged monotube shock, you will like it WAY better.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a good read about instant center and how it puts power down, at least for drag racing. http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/tuning-4-link.html

I have access to CAD at work and would like to spend some time afterhours drawing and playing with a 4th gens instant center and LCA angles, but I don't have any measurements from my car right now.

Quick Reply: Whats a good rear lca angle for a 4th gen thats geared towards handling