Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Rear LCAs and Panhard bar noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear LCAs and Panhard bar noise

Hey all,

I recently installed some BMR rear LCA's and adjustable Panhard bar(both poly bushings) on my 00 Trans Am. Since then I've had a pretty consistent rattle. I'm pretty sure it's the panhard bar because after torquing to specs I thought what the hell and cranked on the bolts and seemed to make it better. The rattle i'm experiencing seemed to shift sides it was coming from when turning and now is only happening going straight on less than even roads and turning right. I've read washers being used to help make things more snug and I've also read that the difference in size of the stock bolts and bushing sleeves can cause some rattle. Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I know, it's a pain in the a%$, but would it be worth re-installing the old panhard rod and driving just a tiny bit to see if the noise goes away? If you're car isn't lowered, the nonadjustable panhard rod should be ok to drive around for a bit. That way you can know for sure if it is or isn't the new panhard rod. On a related note, two years ago I bought a wireless "stethoscope." I was hesitant on buying one since they're so much money, but when I did, I was so glad I did buy the thing. The hours of frustration saved made it worth it for me.
The following users liked this post:
moist (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

You've replaced 6 OEM rubber bushings ( essentially they were 'shock absorbers' at connecting points) with 6 poly bushings. Those 'rattles' that were previously non-existent came to be. We, I'm a 'modifier' too, seek better handling in our suspension components but give up what GM designed into the components. Same thing happens with aftermarket torque arms, users complain of new noises.
Just my opinion with no way of proving it.
The following 2 users liked this post by FirstYrLS1Z:
moist (02-28-2020), War Prayer (04-06-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by moist
Hey all,

I recently installed some BMR rear LCA's and adjustable Panhard bar(both poly bushings) on my 00 Trans Am. Since then I've had a pretty consistent rattle. I'm pretty sure it's the panhard bar because after torquing to specs I thought what the hell and cranked on the bolts and seemed to make it better. The rattle i'm experiencing seemed to shift sides it was coming from when turning and now is only happening going straight on less than even roads and turning right. I've read washers being used to help make things more snug and I've also read that the difference in size of the stock bolts and bushing sleeves can cause some rattle. Can anyone confirm?
Did you grease the bushings? Also make sure that you have no gap between the bar and the mount.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
moist (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^ Yep, grease lubrication is necessary. And NO GAP at each end of the steel bushing in the polys' that contact the mounting surfaces.
moist (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
I know, it's a pain in the a%$, but would it be worth re-installing the old panhard rod and driving just a tiny bit to see if the noise goes away? If you're car isn't lowered, the nonadjustable panhard rod should be ok to drive around for a bit. That way you can know for sure if it is or isn't the new panhard rod. On a related note, two years ago I bought a wireless "stethoscope." I was hesitant on buying one since they're so much money, but when I did, I was so glad I did buy the thing. The hours of frustration saved made it worth it for me.
I might try that. Yeah it isn't lowered yet.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Did you grease the bushings? Also make sure that you have no gap between the bar and the mount.
Yes, I put grease on the bushings when initially installing and then used a grease gun after. I saw a bit of a gap so that's what led me to cranking on the bolt to squeeze the mount. I had them torqued to 80 ft/lbs. Don't know what they're at now, but it did help somewhat. it seems the mount is a touch too big for the bushing?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
You've replaced 6 OEM rubber bushings ( essentially they were 'shock absorbers' at connecting points) with 6 poly bushings. Those 'rattles' that were previously non-existent came to be. We, I'm a 'modifier' too, seek better handling in our suspension components but give up what GM designed into the components. Same thing happens with aftermarket torque arms, users complain of new noises.
Just my opinion with no way of proving it.
Yeah, I read they make noise so I was prepared for some more, but the rattling/tapping i've been experiencing seems excessive in how loud it is.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Teching In

It has been determined that the rear end is on it's way out.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Well that sucks! Time to upgrade!

i was going to post that my car... which is full of hiem and poly bushings, is the biggest loudest rattle trap I have ever owned. It has every piece of fancy suspension you can buy. Rattle. Trap. Lol
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dragframe

i was going to post that my car... which is full of hiem and poly bushings, is the biggest loudest rattle trap I have ever owned. It has every piece of fancy suspension you can buy. Rattle. Trap. Lol
Haha, don't the heims have a ton of play on these cars?
Old 03-16-2020, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dragframe

Old 03-16-2020, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Only from the companies that use cheap heim joints. The deal is we can all make LCA and PHB for the same cost when it comes to the arms themselves. The companies that sell the exact same product yet sell it for extremely lower are doing so by the one thing none of control and that's by using cheaper heim joints. to drop the value of their product. Sadly everyone runs out and buys the cheap product then once it makes noise lumps everyone together. We use a high quality teflon lined heim joint. This quiets down the clanking sound.
moist (03-16-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Was it the axle bearing that was going?
Old 04-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
Was it the axle bearing that was going?
It was the carrier bearings, the gears in the diff that were shot, and pinion seal was also no good. Replaced the carrier and had new Motive 3.73's installed.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I would just like to say that I have quite a few poly & helm joint parts of my car (UMIPerformance & Midwest Chassis) and I have absolutely no rattles or noises to report. Key to a quiet ride is make sure all your joints are well lubricated with whatever the manufacturer suggests, and make sure everything is torqued down tight (With the rear end loaded so you don't introduce bind), make sure you have the right pinion angle set (This one surprised me, but really helped to eliminating random noises going over bumps). I used to have all sorts of rattles but once I did these correctly, I haven't hear a squeak.
moist (04-06-2020)

Quick Reply: New Rear LCAs and Panhard bar noise