Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering Shaft Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Shaft Question

Hey guys so while I was putting my stock k member back in I ended up breaking the thing circled in blue in my picture. Does anyone know what it is called? Tried to explain it to autozone and orielys, but they were baffled. Probably will take the picture in tomorrow and see if they can find it. It looks like some bushing or flange the steering shaft goes into. Also does anyone know if that thing has bearings in it? Because a bearing fell out of the car on that side and I have no clue where it goes I figured it had to do with that. Also the steering shaft is coming out more then normal and catching on a heat shield bolted to the chasis again I am assuming its because that piece is broken. Also does anyone know how to replace that piece?
Attached Thumbnails Steering Shaft Question-steering-shaft.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This looks like the bearing inner RACE that centers the steering shaft in the steering outer tube-------- I think
Old 03-13-2017, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Any chance anybody have a part number for that? Googled what Montana said, but got a bunch of other weird shii lol
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to Suspension & Brakes. (includes steering)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Isn't that just a dust boot to keep stuff from coming back into the cabin?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

It's got some kind of bearing in it I think so I don't think so. Anyone else have any ideas need to fix this soon cause there's play in my steering wheel now plus the shaft is catching on the car
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

The bearing is on the actual shaft held on by a c clip. The boot isn't part of the column. It's part of the firewall. I actually have my column out if you want pics. I tried to find a part number but can't get it to pop in a search. I found the exploded view of the column and that boot isn't part of that diagram. May want to call a dealer and ask
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

I would love some pics thank you! If the boot is part of the firewall then I don't need to change mine correct? I don't think I have a problem with the boot. I don't know what I would ask the dealer because I don't know what its called. May just go down there and show them the picture and see what they tell me. How hard was it to pull the column?
Old 03-14-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

It's not bad I've done a few times. There's really 6 bolts that hold it in place. One in the bay where it slips on the intermediate shaft, 3 on the firewall from inside the carwhere it goes through the boot, and two on the actual column that hold it from the bottom onto a brace behind the dash. There are 6-7 different electrical connections to Indo then it slides right out
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Here some pics of the column I pulled out. Swapped in the other already. In the pics you can see the bearing in the shaft and the retainer clip holding it in.

But now you got me curious. You said your wheel has some play in it can you describe that?
Attached Thumbnails Steering Shaft Question-img_20170315_120341177.jpg   Steering Shaft Question-img_20170315_120323957.jpg  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Here some pics of the column I pulled out. Swapped in the other already. In the pics you can see the bearing in the shaft and the retainer clip holding it in.

But now you got me curious. You said your wheel has some play in it can you describe that?
https://youtu.be/0yTwoCWxsps here's a link to a video I just made showing what my steering wheel is doing. I also added a pic of what the dealer told me to look at figured it might help people in the future. I'm hoping once I change the bearings it will fix the loose steering. Could I have bent the shaft?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats the exploded view I found also.

Im a little unsure of whats going on here, but I dont think the bearing is your problem. Is it just flexing up and down?

this seems more like there might be something wrong with the tilt steering mechanism. Unless the whole column is moving like that but if its just he portion coming out from under the gauges id say the rest of the column is fine. even if you bent something it wouldnt wiggle like that just because of how its mounted.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Thats the exploded view I found also.

Im a little unsure of whats going on here, but I dont think the bearing is your problem. Is it just flexing up and down?

this seems more like there might be something wrong with the tilt steering mechanism. Unless the whole column is moving like that but if its just he portion coming out from under the gauges id say the rest of the column is fine. even if you bent something it wouldnt wiggle like that just because of how its mounted.
it is flexing up and down a bit but when I turn the steering the intermediate shaft is catching a piece of me tel on the side of the chassis I have a video if you want to see. Also I think I do have a bearing issue because some of the bearings fell out.

so here a picture of the end of the steering rod that goes into the shaft is it supposed to be bent like this?
Also that piece that's bent how do I pull it out? I can't find what keeping in place but it moves side to side
​​​​​​​
Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the lower steering shaft, and I don't know if you can even get it out with it tweaked like that. Your column is done, time to find a replacement.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah if you rebuild it that part is the longest section of shaft and comes out the top of the column. You might could cut and the before the bend and pulling that way, but it's honestly cheaper in the long run to buy a new column. If vats is still active you will have to swap key cylinders out.

I'd sell you mine but I pulled it cause a hub adapter is stuck onnthe top and I couldn't get it off. I had to buy a new column off eBay came with the key for 125 shipped. You can get them cheaper but you have to travel to the yards or a pull apart
Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

Not sure what vats is. So I probably don't need the steering wheel correct? Would it be easier to get one with the steering wheel or is it easy to pull the steering wheel off the column? Also what year columns will fit? some website say 94-2000 I believe. Does it matter if its an auto or manual? Some places I've contacted have asked me if I had a floor shift manual or auto. I didn't think it mattered. Btw it wasn't that hard to pull the column at all lol.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Vats is the Vehicle Anti Theft System, the little chip in your key. provides resistance to a circuit that provides proper ground to starter solenoid, and injector pulse signal. wrong chip no start in otherwords. you can either have a blank with proper chip rekeyed to the new lock cylinder or replace new lock cylinder with your current. I think there is also an option for a relearn but not sure on that one.

Im not sure that it matters on the auto vs manual. I think the wiring on the column intself is the same. Unless there is something about the steering gear being locked with the car in park (park neutral safety switch) Gm is kind of big on modular components though kind of doubt the columns would be different. Im the wrong person to ask I guess, I converted from an auto to a manual and had my OE column until last week. My car is a bit of a hybrid I guess as it has a stand alone harness for the engine so it ignores a lot of what is going on with the car.

You may find one cheaper without a wheel, but pulling the wheel isnt hard. you can buy or rent a puller from autozone, napa, advanced. I think they are only 30 bucks? there are 2 star bit screws (I think) that need to be undone from the back of the wheel, this will allow you to remove the airbag/front cover. unplug the airbag and steering wheel controls and undo the bolt on the column shaft. install puller and it will come off pretty easily that way. longest part of the process will likely be getting the air bag off. you cant really see what you are doing so its a bit of a pain.

Technically I believe them all to be the same from 93-02, but depending on the year there were different color options so im unsure if they were all black or not. I would try to stay in the 98-02 realm to avoid any issues just to be safe. I would make sure you purchase one with the key for reference as well.

kinda of scray how easy it is to remove honestly seems like such a major component but its not very solid haha. If I knew it wouldnt be a headache I would see if I could get the adapter off of mine and sell you my column cheap, but I cut the steering wheel/ABS wiring as it comes out of the clock spring, plus the stub that you mount the steering wheel too is probably damaged beyond rethreading it.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Hey blackbyrd thanks for all the info it helped a lot. Found a steering column with a steering wheel from a 2000 camaro no key though for 130. It's cheap and it's the only thing I can within 2 hours of where I live. The steering wheel has volume buttons to going to see how hard it is to wire that up. Hopefully there's no issues with the newer column compared to a 98.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I think you will be fine, you may find that the connector for the steering wheel controls is present but wasnt part of your oe column and will be pretty easy. A lot of times you find this as its easier to include it on all the harnesses rather than have exceptions (back to that modular thing I was talking about)

glad to help

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft Question