Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

02 Camaro SS Complete BMR Suspension Package???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Camaro SS Complete BMR Suspension Package???

I was considering a complete BMR suspension for my 02 Camaro SS with a Spohn Torque Arm with the tunnel brace and front drive shaft loop. I'm thinking the Spohn unit over the BMR because it is offered as one unit where the BMR unit is separate. Am I wrong, if so please correct me. Also what are the opinions out there for a complete suspension upgrade? My ride already has a Kooks long tube headers and y-pipe set up along with BMR subframe connectors. Besides that everything else is stock. Wanted input from more experience guys than myself. I plan on keeping the car for some time. Thanks guys and have a great day.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

BMR makes good stuff but the parts you should get depends a lot on what your plans for the car are. A car designed for the drag strip will be completely different than one designed for attacking mountain roads.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Sorry about that, road and track course. Touring is what some folks call it.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyRay
I was considering a complete BMR suspension for my 02 Camaro SS with a Spohn Torque Arm with the tunnel brace and front drive shaft loop. I'm thinking the Spohn unit over the BMR because it is offered as one unit where the BMR unit is separate. Am I wrong, if so please correct me. Also what are the opinions out there for a complete suspension upgrade? My ride already has a Kooks long tube headers and y-pipe set up along with BMR subframe connectors. Besides that everything else is stock. Wanted input from more experience guys than myself. I plan on keeping the car for some time. Thanks guys and have a great day.
If you are after handling then forget the aftermarket torque arm all together, it will do little to nothing for you and a short, chassis mounted one can cause brake hop. So if anything you want a full length torque arm.
With that being said the #1 thing you need to invest in is good shocks, nothing else will make a bigger difference suspension-wise, and will make or break the setup. Do a search on here for handling setups and you can gather everyones opinions - just about every one is the same when it comes to shocks - gas charged sport shocks are the way to go. For an off the shelf shock alone koni sports (single adjustables) are basically the best you can get without going custom, the cheaper ones are more stock-like replacements but still vastly better than stock.
Springs and swaybars are generally personal preference but there are ones that are proven to work and win national championships on (strano).
Ill leave it at that for now, as I suggested try a search before buying anything as there are parts out there that hurt handling, parts you don't need and parts you do need.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM
Teching In

I have Edelbrock shocks/struts and the struts have a coil over adapter kit it was set up this way when I bought the car. The brakes have slotted rotors. I thought the torque arm would help when I'm on the street, doing a little street racing lol. So a full length torque arm would be better for this? Thanks for the input brother.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyRay
I have Edelbrock shocks/struts and the struts have a coil over adapter kit it was set up this way when I bought the car. The brakes have slotted rotors. I thought the torque arm would help when I'm on the street, doing a little street racing lol. So a full length torque arm would be better for this? Thanks for the input brother.
Edlebrocks are decent, shocks, these cars dont have struts. koni sports are better, ride, handling, feel, you have room for improvement.
If you have stock swaybars there is big room for improvement in handling with aftermarket ones too.
A torque arm can help if you have traction problems or wheel hop problems but will not help handling. Really you need better tires first if traction is an issue.

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro SS Complete BMR Suspension Package???