Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

air bags for rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air bags for rear suspension?

well after hearing and feeling my car bottom out all the time in the rear only i decided to put that to a end! i was thinking about those air bags that go in the coil and u hook up a bike pump or compressor and just fill it up with air.. any body have these? i think there for drag racing? but if they would work i'd get em for getting rid of bottoming out.. o ya not to mention where can i find them?? im pretty sure one of the sponsers has em >>>>>>
i remeber looking a while back but have no clue who had them. Thanx alot
Old 06-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gabriel Hi-Jackers air shocks on mine... but I kept
it fairly low so I still have hit the stops over RR
tracks a couple of times.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Default Air Shocks

I put my Gabriel air shocks on over a year ago- Jimmyblue got the idea from me. I run mine 35 psi normally and have no problem with it bottoming out, but it raises the back end about a half an inch- gives the car a nice rake.
Just completed a thousand mile run with a buddy. Put 40 psi in the shocks, had no problems with it bottoming out even with two, 200 pound guys, luggage and a cooler full of cold beer. Handling is pretty good considering that they are air shocks- they did stop the "ricer" bounce I was getting.
Tried Airlift bags- squeek and groan too much inside springs.
HAL adjustable shocks- Way too expensive and a royal pain to adjust.
Air Shocks- easy to adjust, cheap and durable.
Hope this helps- good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanx alot peedee.. exaclty wut i was looking for.. now where can i find these air shocks?? and u say there cheap? how cheap? i no hals are expensive.. thanx again
Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gabriel Air Shocks

TravWS6,
I bought my shocks at PEP Boys, they run about $70.00 for the pair- sure beats the HAL price! You will need to get the airline kit also about $10.00 for one kit. Jimmyblu and I bought two air line kits, with some slight mods to the plastic fill valve you can set them up for independent fill.
This would allow you to tune the rear end for drags. On the track I run the right shock at 45-50 psi and the left at 30 psi. This gives you the same effect as a drag-bag set up, but with much more flexibility. My car hooks up great with these settings.
With no air in the shocks, you have the full lowering effect and still have good control. I started to see the back end rise at about 30 psi. Found that 35-40 psi works best for everyday driving- don't have to worry about shredding tires or damaging body parts. Still have nice fender to tire gap. I am running Fuzion SRI - 275/40 ZR17 on Ar 200s wheels with more offset.
When installing the shocks, bolt up the top first then pull down or apply air to allow the bottom bolt to hook up. Make sure you run the lines away from any hot area, they are small, plastic and will melt. Good luck man, let me know how it goes.
The purists here might not approve- but hey it works for me.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are they really soft (make good drag shocks)? or can they be?

tired of my stiff stock shocks not letting my drag launch springs work
Old 07-02-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanx for all the info.. they sound exaclty like wut i need.. but one problem.. im from canada.. theres no such thing as pep boys out here.. do u no if they ship to canada if they have a web site? or maybe just give me the bran of shock they are and i can ask lordco.. maybe even a part #?? thanx again
Old 07-02-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just curios.. do they make front structs also??
Old 07-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

TravWS6,
Look at their web site www.pepboys.com- not sure if they ship to Canada- don't see why not. Sorry, don't have the part number any more. Search under parts/driveability for Gabriel "Hi-Jacker" Air Shocks. Monroe also makes one- MaxAir Adjustable Shock.
They both make front strut set-ups. I have Monroe Sensa-Track gas struts up- front. Try Canadian Tire- they seem to be able to get most anything.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank u very much peedee u bin alota help. ill see wut i can do from here on
Old 07-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Hmmm interesting - but how much do they differ from the "racecar" DeCarbon OEM units - I mean did you notice any loss of control or road feel taking hi speed turns - do they affect the operation of the ASR/TCS due to different resonance?

May be just what I need.....
Old 07-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Staging Lane

TravWS6
No problem- hope this works for you- let me know.
emarkay-
I took "DeCarbon" shocks off the rear end when I put on the airshocks. Handling is excellent, cornering is as good or better than the original shocks with the Pro springs. The air shocks also corrected the sagging, uneven fender/tire gap, bounce and bottoming. The ride is smooth and firm without being harsh.
No apparent affect on ASR/TCS- noticed no change in operation.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

TravWS6,
If you have problems finding them in Canda, let me know- would be happy to pick up what you need and UPS them up to you.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got mine at AutoZone. I think any semi-decent
parts chain will have them.

This is where I posted pic linkage for my install:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/142192-air-shocks-install-pix.html
Old 07-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default Install Pics

JimmyBlu,
Thanks for posting the thread to your install pics- sure they will be a big help to TravWS6.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanx for the step bye step install.. that will help! but now the bad news.. i checked with lordco.. they have never ordered gabrial shocks and cant get the monroe ones for some reason... so i try over at canadian tire.. and they can only get the monroe basic replacment shock.. i even tried a performance shop and they said try lordco.. so im kinda limited here.. i checked out monroes web site to see if i can order online.. but they have nothin there either.. same thing with the gabrial.. hmm ya really sux gettin parts out here.. i don't no if i would wana put u thro all the work of sending them UPS peedee i got a couple other places to call tomorrow and if not i'll do some searching on the web.. if all fails.. i might have to take ur offer.
thanx again
Old 07-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

TravWS6,
Let me know how it goes. There is a PEP Boys just up the road from me- would be no problem to pick them up.
PeeDee
Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

k after doing some digging i found them on one site.. rockauto.com but its confusing how its set up.. im not sure if its a kit for both socks cuz.. and i don't wana end up ordering and gettin the wrong thing.. shipping is $80 also.. gona be a big bill.. hey where r u located peedee?? do u have n e idea wut shipping would cost? hey and if i did get the shocks from u how would i pay u? a check proboly rite? i'v only orderd online from dealers.. let me no.
thanx
Old 07-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Staging Lane

TravWS6,
I think the shipping would be around $40.00 US to Canada.
I am in the Atlanta, Ga. area. The shocks and two air line kits would cost about $100.00. What part of Canada are you in? I can check with a bud at the UPS store for correct shipping price.
A check or money order would be cool.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

TravWS6,
Found the air shocks on JCWhitney dot com. Part number is
ZX388320P, $ 72.95. The fitment list only shows up to 1999 cars, but I don't think that is a problem- I think the 2001 has the same shock mounts. They have an 800 number - call them and ask about the fitment and air lines.

Quick Reply: air bags for rear suspension?