Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2004 GTO suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO suspension

I have many negative things about this cars suspension. Mine has 117,000 on it. It seems to ride great. When I look at the car, I can see the tops of the tires. I guess I'm just wondering if the sagging spring issue effects all GTOs or not?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I replaced my shocks, coils, control arm bushings and radius rod bushing at 78k due to how bad the suspension was. At the same time I upgraded sway bars to Hotchkis. The wear on the suspension could've also been from the previous owner living in the east coast and driving in the snow like it was a warm summer day. Once I replaced everything it rode much better and my tires started to wear evenly.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I don't appear to have any problems with my suspension. It rides great, no uneven tire wear. I have read the prescribed method of measuring ride height. Bottom of wheel rim to bottom of wheel well lip. I measure 23 inches in the rear (both sides) with a half tank of fuel, and 23.5 on both fronts. My question was do all of the 04 GTOs have the sag problem, or are they random? My car has 117,500 on the odometer. I apologize for the confusion.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 353 Likes on 266 Posts

pretty much affected all years of the GTO from what I found. In some cases it wasnt even a question of the mileage. With that many miles on yours though and the age of the car unless components have been replaced you are bound to have a few that are needed. The factory rubber parts just dont hold up over time. If you arent sagging have you looked to see if a previous owner put something else under the car? Could be as minor as the whiteline spring spacers to raise the rear back up to height. I actually have them on my car with my Eibach springs ...... because they lowered the car more than advertised.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I have had one part replaced in the front, and I can't remember which one (I know, it's stupid that I can't remember, maybe a tie rod end). I personally replaced the clutch, master, and slave clutch cylinders, and installed a solid driveshaft, the one with the carrier bearing was just plain stupid. My son bought the car, after it came back to the dealer from a 2 year lease. I bought it from him when he got married, so I know the history of the car. No suspension parts have been replaced. I'm 66 years old now, and can't do the car work I used to. I live in Mich. The car stays garaged from Nov. to May. My car must be an exception to the norm, because I swear it drives, corners, and rides great. It's on it's 3rd set of tires. Real head scratcher, but I'm not gonna fix something thats not broke.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting close to 65k on mine and no significant suspension issues other than front radius rod bushings and tie rods. The rear sags a little and squats under hard launch but I don't have considerable uneven tire wear. But I'm not taking high speed corners or anything like that. You could probably improve the handling and tire wear with suspension, especially if you are racing or cornering hard. But if it's safe and comfy for you, I wouldn't spend a bunch of money.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Well, I don't do any hard launches, or cornering. The tires wear evenly. Occasionally when I'm feeling particularly wicked, I might put my foot in it from a 2nd gear roll. The car cruises down the road nice. When I'm on the freeway, I'll cruise at 80-85 mph and everything is right with the world. No rattles, shakes, or shimmies. It's a nice ride with nothing but the soothing rumble of the exhaust. The only issue I really have is that I put in a solid driveshaft, and if I hit a bump hard enough, I'll hear the driveshaft bump the bottom of the car. If it gets any worse, I'll definitely look into it. For right now, I'll just consider myself lucky.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob Y
Well, I don't do any hard launches, or cornering. The tires wear evenly. Occasionally when I'm feeling particularly wicked, I might put my foot in it from a 2nd gear roll. The car cruises down the road nice. When I'm on the freeway, I'll cruise at 80-85 mph and everything is right with the world. No rattles, shakes, or shimmies. It's a nice ride with nothing but the soothing rumble of the exhaust. The only issue I really have is that I put in a solid driveshaft, and if I hit a bump hard enough, I'll hear the driveshaft bump the bottom of the car. If it gets any worse, I'll definitely look into it. For right now, I'll just consider myself lucky.
You sure the driveshaft isn't hitting the rear seat belt stud sticking out the bottom of the body? Some times it just needs to be cut off.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Well, when I first installed the driveshaft, and drove it was worse. I took it to a shop that I trust, and the guy trimmed a couple of things off, and sorry I don't remember exactly what. It is only on rare occasions that I will drive over a big enough bump to hear the driveshaft bump the bottom of the car. It's rare though. After all this talk about springs though, I am curious to know if I did want to raise the car about an inch all the way around, am I locked into buying new springs, or can it be accomplished with the "White line" spring spacers that someone else mentioned?

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO suspension