Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lt1 breaks to clear 15" wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017 | 09:09 PM
Teching In

Default Lt1 breaks to clear 15" wheel?

I've recently purchased the billet specialties win lite wheels and cannot get them to clear over my LS one brake calipers and bracket. My wheels before these were the billet specialties street lites and had no problem whatsoever to get the them to clear took minimal grinding. Is It possible to swap to LT1 breaks since they have a smaller rotor and caliper bracket? Running out of ideas of how to get these to clear!
Attached Thumbnails Lt1 breaks to clear 15" wheel?-img_0537.jpg  
Old 05-24-2017 | 09:03 AM
Launching!

What width and offset are those? Buddy of mine was going to put a 8.5" 10 bolt in his Cutlass and wanted to run an OEM disk brake that would clear his 15" steelies (he likes looking like a grandma with stock Cutlass Supreme spoke hubcaps). So he came over one day and tested them on my LT1 and all they needed was a small shim/spacer and they would've cleared with no problem. The caliper was just barely hitting the rear face of the wheel, not the inside of the lip.

That was also a stock G-body steelie so I don't know how that would compare to your win lite wheels, but just food for thought. Best just to find someone in your area with an LT1 car and see if they'll let you test fit one.
Old 05-26-2017 | 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Just an FYI, if you decide to attempt the LT1 front brake route you will also need LT1 front spindles. I removed all that off my '97 a couple years ago in favor of an LS1 front brake setup. If you decide to go down that path I have some really nice LT1 calipers with 24,000 original miles on them and may have the spindles still I forget if I scraped them or not and I'd sell them for a very fair price. Just be aware that the LT1 brakes kind of suck and the whole LT1 front brake setup weights 10lbs more than the equivalent LS1 setup so I wouldn't consider it an ideal solution. I'm on the app so I can't see your location but if you're anywhere near Philly you are more than welcome to grab my LT1 stuff to try out if you like.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 05-26-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2017 | 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

My prostars fit over my LS1 brakes with a small spacer. You might wanna try that before sacrificing braking ability

Quick Reply: Lt1 breaks to clear 15" wheel?