Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear axle movement

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Rear axle movement

Wasn't really sure which forum to put this in...

Anyway, when I pulled the motor out of my Camaro, I put the rear wheels up on stands with the parking brake set. When I disconnected the torque arm from the trans the torque arm stayed where it was at as opposed to rotating upwards like just about every guide I've seen said it would do.

While I'm waiting on the motor I was planning on installing some upgraded suspension parts on the front and rear. I need to get the rear wheels off the stands so I can access the components behind the wheel. I'm worried about jacking up the differential and as soon as the wheels clear the stands, the diff will want to rotate and fall off the jack. If i release the parking brake, will the torque arm rotate or is it just the wheels holding it in place?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I did my gears I removed the driveshaft and torque arm, rear diff didn't move at all.

But I was using a lift and wasn't loading the rear suspension...
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

huh. Almost everything I read said that the torque arm would want to slam into the trans tunnel...
Old 05-31-2017, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump. Can anyone tell me the best thing to do to get the rear wheels off the stands safely?
Old 05-31-2017, 04:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Have a jack under the housing close to the pumpkin and a jackstand just high enough to hold the yoke from moving but not resting on the jackstand if your set on having it in the air. I set mine on the ground just sitting on the floor jack, I already took the wheels of before I lowered it, wasn't that hard to put it back together.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Bump. Can anyone tell me the best thing to do to get the rear wheels off the stands safely?
Without the front of torque arm attached to "something", the natural force of the rear springs, since they're behind the centerline of the rear axle, is to "push" the rear of the axle downward, rotating the torque arm upward. The easy way to prevent this, is to put a bottle jack, a small scissors jack, or a stack of "something" under the panhard bar, where it bolts to the axle. This will prevent the axle from rotating downward.....
Old 06-03-2017, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem with that is I will be jacking up the car by the rear end. My concern is the rear rotating while on the jack and subsequently falling off.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
The only problem with that is I will be jacking up the car by the rear end. My concern is the rear rotating while on the jack and subsequently falling off.
I had no issues the way I described to you.

Quick Reply: Rear axle movement