Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can't remove Hotchkis lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove Hotchkis lowering springs

About 7 years ago I put Hotchkis lowering springs on all 4 corners (obviously) of my 2000 WS6. Drivers side strut went out and I removed the assembly. Tried to compress the spring with Autozone spring compressor and the tool started to buckle. The coils are wound tight on the springs which makes it very hard to get the tool in between the coils. I loosened it and removed the tool. I took it to several shops and none could remove it. Couldn't even get their tool on it because of the coils. What now? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might try removing wheel, supporting the lower a-arm with a jack, then take a sawzall and cut shock shaft, let spring raise the car the last bit of extension it may have. Then just remove the shock as you normally would. I f shock is already off, reinstall shock on bottom and fit into upper area to keep from flying up, and cut shaft. Then jack up chassis and lower the lower a-arm and it should just fall into two pieces.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My car had the same springs when I bought it and I was able to get the springs compressed with the compressors that I have. I had to pry the coils apart a bit, but they worked.

They look like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-12-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How did you put them on originally? Do that again
Old 06-12-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 2002 ss with the factory bilstein level 1 - eibach springs?
those i had to get from amazon $19 "BETOOLL Auto 15“ Coil Spring Compressor Strut Remover Installer Tool". disassemble that tool to fit just one of the fingers on each end in to the spring then compress a little bit to then fit the autozone OEM 27036 strut compressor tool in. so i basically had 4 compressor tools on mine to then cut the mount off because it was rusted on.

the betool 15" compressor was ok, I'd be weary using it on any kind of lowering spring is gonna be double the spring rate around 500+ lbs/inch ? especially just one finger on each end of the tool, i was not able to use both fingers because the angle of the coil. I wish it had one finger on each end, then it would have been much better.
Attached Thumbnails Can't remove Hotchkis lowering springs-51qopntulpl._sl1010_.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the hotchkis springs as well, the shop that changed my struts used one of these.
http://www.branick.com/products-strut-tools.php

Quick Reply: Can't remove Hotchkis lowering springs