Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

upgrade to UMI control arms??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade to UMI control arms??

my rear suspension feels rough when I go over bumps in my 98 T/A.. it also makes a squeaking noise when I turn corners really slow like 5 mph or less but not at regular speed, but... like in parking lots or turning at red lights for example i hear a creaking sound.. my suspension is stock (i know don't laugh) so I just thought I'd replace the LCA's and panhard bar/ track bar, my question is will the tubular non adjustable UMI set be good for a mostly street application, as I plan to add more performance stuff later as I am in the process of fixing this car back up I am just now really getting into the upgrades but it is my daily driver so I need some input here, I just want to make sure this isn't a drag only setup.. whats best for the street and drag(if i wanted to) I also heard about the rear LCA's with poly bushings on one side should I opt out for them or should I just go with the regular UMI set.. or can you recommend anything else?? whats my best option?? BTW my car is stock ride height
Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by T/A bandit
my rear suspension feels rough when I go over bumps in my 98 T/A.. it also makes a squeaking noise when I turn corners really slow like 5 mph or less but not at regular speed, but... like in parking lots or turning at red lights for example i hear a creaking sound.. my suspension is stock (i know don't laugh) so I just thought I'd replace the LCA's and panhard bar/ track bar, my question is will the tubular non adjustable UMI set be good for a mostly street application, as I plan to add more performance stuff later as I am in the process of fixing this car back up I am just now really getting into the upgrades but it is my daily driver so I need some input here, I just want to make sure this isn't a drag only setup.. whats best for the street and drag(if i wanted to) I also heard about the rear LCA's with poly bushings on one side should I opt out for them or should I just go with the regular UMI set.. or can you recommend anything else?? whats my best option?? BTW my car is stock ride height
Aftermarket rear LCA's and PHB are not going to help your ride quality any, if anything the rear LCA's may make the car ride a little more rough or at least transmit more NVH into the cabin compared to the stock LCA's with the soft rubber bushings that absorb the NVH. Its pointless getting a non adjustable PHB, and the LCA's will potentially help with getting off the line traction but if you are not having issues with that then wait until you actually need them.
If you want to actually improve ride quality then check if you still have rear bumpstops and if you don't then replace those with either rubber or foam ones (not poly ones).
Replace your shocks all around with something decent like bilstiens or Koni STR.T (you will be very pleasantly surprised how much of a difference this makes - more so than anything else will). These are good budget shocks that will ride tremendously better than stock while giving you more feel and better handling as well without hurting launching either.
What tires are you running? Its possible you have some stiffer side wall tires or they may be old and dry rotting, new tires can help as well here. On that same subject make sure you are around 32-30psi or lower for best ride.
The creaking noise you hear might be your swaybar D bushings, the ones that hold the swaybar to the chassis (or the rear axle) of the car. You can replace those with poly ones from either online or autozone may carry them. If your swaybars are actually stock like you claim then you need x2 30mm front and x2 19mm rear size bushings.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aftermarket LCA's like our UMI 2015 with double poly, non-adjustable are a great first upgrade. Brand new factory arms with fresh metal and brand new rubber work surprisingly well. In this case, that's not what we are replacing. I'd suggest ride quality will improve since you'll be taking out the worn, old stuff and installing fresh new stuff. A few key points include using the Formula 5 packet that comes with the arms to spread on the face of the bushings, install, put a few pumps grease in the fitting, bounce car to distribute grease then tighten to 60 ft-lb or moderately tight with normal hand tools.

For PHB, a simple single adjustable is great as they don't cost much more than a non-adjustable and it's best to have that fine tune ability.

ramey

Quick Reply: upgrade to UMI control arms??