Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrades

I just bought a 1997 Firebird Formula. Couple questions regarding suspension. I'm hoping to make around 400hp with my built 5.3l motor that's going to be going in. I'm wanting to know what should I replace to make the suspension "better". Maybe subframe connectors? Should I replace all stock parts given its 20 years old? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Firebird_lsx; 08-26-2017 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Also wanted to add I will have 3.73 gears if that makes a difference
Old 08-26-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 214 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What are you going to be using the car for?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Shocks would make a big difference
Old 08-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
What are you going to be using the car for?
It mostly will be a street car, something to enjoy on my days off. Might go to the track a few times a year. Nothing crazy.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by one sweet ws6
Shocks would make a big difference
What brand would you suggest??
Old 08-27-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 214 Likes on 167 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would see what bushings need replaced:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...6198d8e141.jpg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...810cf33a41.jpg

I would go with koni yellows/strano springs or go with a viking coil over kit.

Viking if you need ride height adjustment, otherwise get the koni yellow/strano springs. There are better coil over kits that the Viking, just be prepared to spend the $$$.

There are various aftermarket suspension components that are added to maximize either track or autoX performance that come with the bushings in them already that you would be replacing. These are made by BMR, UMI, Spohn, etc.

K-member, front upper and lower control arms, rear lower control arms, control arm relocation brackets, panhard bar, torque arm, subframe connectors, trans mount, motor mounts, strut tower brace, rear and front swaybars, delrin bushing in steering rack, inner and outer tie rods or bumpsteer kit.

My car which is setup for 1/4 mile track performance with some weekend street use has the following/will have the following:

Viking double adj coil over kit A206-350K, C213-R, 14DP150
Moog K6516/17 Front Upper Strut Mount Kit
Moog K6573 Strut Mount Assembly
UMI K-member, upper and lower A-arms FBS002
UMI adj rear lower control arms 2018
MWC Tunnel mount torque arm and double drop crossmemer
Spohn Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets #210-S
Spohn drag sway bar #921
Adjustable Spohn Panhard bar #104
BMR Weld in SubFrame Connectors SFC001
UPR Strut tower brace 2005-R
Acdelco 22174970 Transmission Mount
Tie Rod MOOG EV260
Tie Rod MOOG ES3238RL
Tie Rod End Boot ENERGY SUSPENSION 913101R (9.13101R)
Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly TIMKEN 513090
Prothane Motor mounts 7-512
Delrin rack mount bushings 2116
Old 08-27-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebird_lsx
It mostly will be a street car, something to enjoy on my days off. Might go to the track a few times a year. Nothing crazy.
Figure out what exactly you would like to change about how the car drives or feels and then ask on here and go from there. Good shocks will make the biggest difference of anything assuming nothing is broken right now. I emphasize good shocks because replacing with oem/autozone junk will not make that big of a difference, the problem isnt age or wear, its how they are valved from the start, so brand new with 0 miles they don't feel great either.
Koni and viking/qa1 are close to opposite in terms of feel and handling. If you want good coilovers for the street look at ridetech or the umi/strano afco coilovers.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Shocks and sway bars give you the most bang for the buck, as far as feel goes. With original springs, and doing street driving, I suggest 35f/25r solid sways.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

If it's mostly a street car, don't do the Viking kit. Koni or bilsteins if you want to keep stock spring perches. If you want coilovers, look into ridetech coilover kit with the million mile warranty or the strano UMI kit.

I daily drive on Vikings for a year. At first they were fine but very quickly faded into a bouncy ride. They're a great shock for the strip and then the drive home, but not so much for a daily driver
Old 08-28-2017, 11:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There are a lot of variables to consider here. Mostly coming down to your primary use of the car, future plans and budget.
The baseline pieces I normally recommend are springs, shocks, tubular LCA's and relocation brackets. My shock recommendation would change based on your desired use. For a Daily driven car with some emphasis on overall performance I would Look at the Koni Str.t for a good budget upgrade that rids good and gets rid of much of the sloppiness of the stock suspension

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

So are the qa1 shocks not any good?
I'm not exactly on a budget but I also don't have just unlimited amount of money. I do want to be able to have a suspension that will give me the ability to put down 400-450hp. And this setup will mostly be used on the street. Not to daily drive, but won't be seeing a lot of the track at the moment.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:00 AM
Launching!

What brand would you suggest??
I got my koni yellows single adjust in the rear only because the quit making double adjustable abd double adjustables up front i love them i can dail them in for my driving habbits
Old 08-29-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not exactly on a budget but I also don't have just unlimited amount of money. I do want to be able to have a suspension that will give me the ability to put down 400-450hp. And this setup will mostly be used on the street. Not to daily drive, but won't be seeing a lot of the track at the moment.
QA1s are good for dragracing, but you sacrifice everything else for it(ride quality, handling, feel, stability) and are still pretty low quality.
400-450hp is not a lot, especially if you are running an auto (will launch much easier, not shock the drivetrain like a 6 speed).
Sticky tires and stock suspension you can put that kind of power down on a prepped dragstrip and possibly the street. I know I had a friend that put down 400rwhp on the street with stock suspension and drag radials and a stalled auto.
If you are strict about budget don't throw a bunch of parts at the car at once, get some good sticky tires and leave the suspension alone for now and see how it does, if you have traction issues or have very specific things you want to change about the car (like a high speed floating feeling-that would be poor shock dampening) then address that as it comes.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

It's not that they're no good. It's that they're a poor match for how you said you intend to use the car. At the track, they help hook great. On the street the car is very floppy and uncontrolled.

Then, as you add power, you end up needing a stiffer shock to help transfer power to the pavement. A good street shock with a bit softer spring will hook quite well at the track.

I've found on the rear, what works well on the street seems to do good at the track. Up front I just reduce rebound to allow it to lift and transfer weight to the rear.

I took a lot of time trying to restore the feel I had with the bilsteins and stock springs.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades