Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2nd Gen F Body Coilover Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen F Body Coilover Kit

Anyone know of any reasonably priced Coilover Kits for the 2nd Gen F bodies? Rear suspension on my 77 Firebird is a bit knackered and if I've got to replace it I'd like to modernise it a bit rather than putting leaves back in. Everything I've looked at so far online is $2000+ and has mad ladder bars and diff struts everywhere! Don't need anything track worthy. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No I don't. But there are some options for adjustable shocks and aftermarket leafs.
We AX a 2nd gen and use the Ridetech HQ and a Custom Works leaf. And do fairly well with it. If you're not worried about setting an exact ride height, I'd go this route again.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are looking to get away from leaf springs, there are unfortunately there is no easy answer. If you want cheap, it won't be easy to install. If you want easy install it won't be cheap.

We offer a torque arm suspension kit that is completely bolt in and makes a great setup for street driving, handling and track use. It allows use of coil overs of your choice and will work with any commonly used rear ends in these cars

https://bmrsuspension.com/?page=prod...d=29&catid=138

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JordanBigWig
Anyone know of any reasonably priced Coilover Kits for the 2nd Gen F bodies? Rear suspension on my 77 Firebird is a bit knackered and if I've got to replace it I'd like to modernise it a bit rather than putting leaves back in. Everything I've looked at so far online is $2000+ and has mad ladder bars and diff struts everywhere! Don't need anything track worthy. Thanks in advance!
I owned a '77 T/A for a LONG time, and found that for street use, the rear suspension was more than adequate. Problem is, as you're probably well aware, those are now considered OLD cars, and the aftermarket parts support isn't as great as it once was.

I'd suggest sticking with the leaf springs, and if they've lost their arch and/or stiffness, just replace them with new springs, that have polyurethane bushings. Replace the rubber bushings in your rear sway bar, with poly bushings, and add a good pair of shock absorbers. It'll work...........

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen F Body Coilover Kit