Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What brake options for WS6 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What brake options for WS6 wheels?

As stated, what options are out there for the 4th gen WS6 wheels?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What are you using the car for?
Have you tried a set of good brake pads yet?

If your car is strictly a street car or just a street/drag car, the factory brakes with good pads are more than enough as you can lock up street tires with good brake pads on blank rotors on the stock brake system. So don't expect to put a big brake it on with all season 245 tires and think you will stop well, you will lock the tires up, especially the rear.
The only time you want to realistically consider something like a big brake kit is when you want to get serious into road racing and are running wide R-compound tires. Thats when the stock brake calipers can spread and potentially when you could have heat problems with smaller rotors/surface area. On the street that is not an issue.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What are you using the car for?
Have you tried a set of good brake pads yet?

If your car is strictly a street car or just a street/drag car, the factory brakes with good pads are more than enough as you can lock up street tires with good brake pads on blank rotors on the stock brake system. So don't expect to put a big brake it on with all season 245 tires and think you will stop well, you will lock the tires up, especially the rear.
The only time you want to realistically consider something like a big brake kit is when you want to get serious into road racing and are running wide R-compound tires. Thats when the stock brake calipers can spread and potentially when you could have heat problems with smaller rotors/surface area. On the street that is not an issue.
I have experienced brake fade on a car one time on a highway off ramp...not a fun experience to barely stop with your foot to the ground. That was in Honda.

With the stock setup right now on my F-Body, I replaced the front calipers with replacements from Oreillys and did eBay pads/rotors. I really don't like this setup coming down from higher speeds. Feels awful.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

We have so many many options.
Most guys like our C5 brake upgrade kit.

I would add in some rear hawk pads and slotted rotors and maybe the stainless braided line kit. The difference is LITERALLY NIGHT AND DAY and doesnt need grinding or any special order only parts. Everything is on hand also!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

^ All great points above. Big improvements from other things than the calipers. You might also look at the Strano M/C brace, also. It really changes the feel under heavy braking. (It won't help you stop faster, but it really improves how the pedal feels.)

I've been really happy with the stock calipers. Recently, one blew out on me - so I went with some Power Stop reman calipers. They do a pretty nice job on the rebuld and I liked the powder coating:

I would have preferred another color (like black) but, only red is available. They do stand out. I guess they make the car look "faster?" The minute I put them on my car, I started having people stop me on the street offering to buy the car. (I had three offers like that the two weeks after putting them on. In the previous 17 years, I've had none.)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by F-Body International
I have experienced brake fade on a car one time on a highway off ramp...not a fun experience to barely stop with your foot to the ground. That was in Honda.

With the stock setup right now on my F-Body, I replaced the front calipers with replacements from Oreillys and did eBay pads/rotors. I really don't like this setup coming down from higher speeds. Feels awful.
Theres your problem right there. Get yourself some hawk hps pads with some quality blank rotors and you wont need to worry about struggling to stop.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the brakemotive rotors, ceramic pads and ss brake lines. I was aprehensive due to the price being so cheap on the rotors but they have held up great over the years. Just those things made a huge difference.

Last edited by BrntWS6; 10-15-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Theres your problem right there. Get yourself some hawk hps pads with some quality blank rotors and you wont need to worry about struggling to stop.
+1. The move away from the stock AC Delco pads took things a step backwards.

I haven't used them, but from all accounts on this site, the Hawk pads take things a step forward.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATS Brembo swap may be worth researching when you want to take it to the next level.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought brakemotive brakes too. They were stupid cheap and have had good experience on my previous z28. They come with ceramic pads which I thought wouldnt last long, but they have actually lasted much more than i expected. The rotors have no cracks either. My car is a street car with an occasional "spirited" run. I just installed brakemotives on my truck this past weekend.

For a track car you might want to consider something different, but for a street car I wont be going back to hawk or EBC anymore.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The Batman
The ATS Brembo swap may be worth researching when you want to take it to the next level.
That's what I'm doing. Got a pair of take off ATS calipers of the bay for $160 with pads and all. Then some C7 vette rotors, some wheel spacers, and longer wheel studs and it should be good to go.

Take a look at this thread if you are interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-brakes-2.html
Old 09-27-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Another vote for the ATS Brembos if you want to be able to use the factory 17's but have some pretty nice and modern brakes.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Any of you guys know if the Strano kit will work for WS6 wheels?

Quick Reply: What brake options for WS6 wheels?