Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Is Your Ride Height (Strano Springs and Bilstein Shocks)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Is Your Ride Height (Strano Springs and Bilstein Shocks)?

As the title states.

I have bilsteins on all four corners and strano springs. I swapped out the rear isolators for the 99-04 cobra Isolators part number (6-1709-BL) made by prothane. The whole suspension has maybe 400 miles on it, but these are the numbers I got after I swapped isolators (the cobra ones are suppose to drop the rear a 1/2in).

How I measured - Bottom of tire to bottom of fender well, (metal lip of tape measure under tire and then to the bottom of the fender well).

No one was sitting in the car and the car had 1/2 tank of gas left. I have no spare tire or jack, rear seat and rear bucket delete.

Driver Front: 24 3/4in

Driver Rear - 26 1/2in

Passenger Front - 25in

Passenger Rear - 26 3/4in

BEFORE I switched isolators my rear measurements on both sides were about 1/2in more then they are listed above.

Let's see what you guys have for your measurements on your suspension setups!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 02:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Measure from the ground, not under the tire. Negative camber will mean the outer edge of the front tire is higher than the rear, which makes sense because the front is lower than any other measurement I've seen claimed for my springs.

Low enough my first thought was you were missing the lower spring isolators that sit on the spring perch. Maybe you are?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Measure from the ground, not under the tire. Negative camber will mean the outer edge of the front tire is higher than the rear, which makes sense because the front is lower than any other measurement I've seen claimed for my springs.

Low enough my first thought was you were missing the lower spring isolators that sit on the spring perch. Maybe you are?
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...nsulator,10444

I used the following MOOG part number K80927 for my front suspension as far as the seat goes.

I'm also positive I got the isolators in the front on the spring seat, I'm checking now, I believe we just re-used the stock ones because I just checked my original shocks and the spring seat isolators are not on my OEM shocks. Believe the shop just swapped them out, I don't believe MOOG makes a replacement for that.

Last edited by blk97z28; 10-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Upper mounts new too? If so I think it's just how you are measuring, unless you have a massive amount more weight than other cars but it doesn't seem that way.

Note also that more negative camber lowers the front end too. Add that to how you are measureing, which is tough given the tire shoulder isn't actually square and the numbers can be fuzzy.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Upper mounts new too? If so I think it's just how you are measuring, unless you have a massive amount more weight than other cars but it doesn't seem that way.

Note also that more negative camber lowers the front end too. Add that to how you are measureing, which is tough given the tire shoulder isn't actually square and the numbers can be fuzzy.
New everything. I just went to my storage unit and crawled underneath the car, I could feel the metal spring seat and I could also feel the hard rubber spring isolator. The seat is flat metal correct and the isolator has a high and low end and grooves to the contoure of the spring? If that right then both fronts have the isolators. I don't remember buying new but I also cleared out all my emails so I don't know for certain, I do know my car had 75k miles on it and the shop could of just used the originals as I checked my old shocks and the isolators are not on there.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

That's low!! My car is 26.375 up front, and 26.875 in rear. My front tires have minimal gap to the fender, and rear has less than an inch. I do run a slightly taller tire than you though. I have 305/30/19.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

245/45/17 up front
275/40/17 out back

ill remeasure when the weather gets nicer.
on the fronts both drivers and passengers side I can align two fingers on top of each other and that's the gap between tire and fender. The rears both sides are three fingers aligned on top of each other and that's the gap between the tire and fender.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 fingers for gap is 1 1/4in (fronts)
3 fingers for gap is 1 3/4in (rears)
Old 10-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just rechecked mine. Similar mileage on my setup compared to yours. Half tank of gas, full-weight LT1 car, new front mounts, all other isolators reused. It has actually come down a tad from the numbers I initially posted in my review thread.

LF 25.25
RF 25.25
LR 26.25
RR 25.75

Quick Reply: What Is Your Ride Height (Strano Springs and Bilstein Shocks)?