Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2000 camaro lower ball joint is loose in the control arm

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 camaro lower ball joint is loose in the control arm

Hey guys I got a issue with my 00 Camaro I got about 12k miles on my front suspension rebuild. The passenger side lower ball joint keeps falling out of the control arm. I called tech support they were helpful but there idea did not work. They suggest I use a ball joint with serations like a moog problem solver. Well I pressed in a brand new ball joint and it comes right back out. They said if I still have issues to call back and they will have me take measurements. My issue is I kinda need the car back on the road. So can I put a few tack welds on it to hold it in? What other things could I try? These are quality lower a arms from a sponsor not cheap ebay ones.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use moog joint?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I tried the moog and it felt like it pressed in tight but came right out as I was putting the spindle on it. Tried pressing it on a 2nd time same thing. I've pressed in ball joints on lots of different cars and never had this happen.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What brand is the lower?

You say you have 12k on the front end rebuild. In that rebuild did you replace the control arms? If so, did they have new ball joints? Why are they failing so soon that you are replacing them?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashz28
Hey guys I got a issue with my 00 Camaro I got about 12k miles on my front suspension rebuild....... These are quality lower a arms from a sponsor not cheap ebay ones.
Sounds like the mounting hole in the a-arm is "stretching". While you haven't mentioned what brand they are, I would suggest you contact the manufacturer, and discuss the situation.

And if you need to get this fixed, PRONTO, to get the car back on the road, in my opinion, a couple of tack welds should be OK........
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Different brand ball joints have different press tolerances, it has been cumbersome for us and I am sure other manufacturers. We build ours to fit Proforged brand, we have had others too tight and others too loose. We even have to build a custom cup for Howe ball joints.

A tack weld is what a lot of guys do on the Howes, there is nothing wrong with that. Also remember the ball joint will never fall out with the nut and cotter pin installed. If you have the ability to tack weld that is a easy solution that would do the trick.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
........Also remember the ball joint will never fall out with the nut and cotter pin installed.
That is correct, with one qualification.....as long as the car is on the ground. With the car on the ground, and the weight of it on the spindle, the natural tendency of the spindle is to "pull" upward, drawing the B/J in place. That is why B/Js install from the bottom, and can be a press fit.

Quick Reply: 2000 camaro lower ball joint is loose in the control arm