Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bump Steer

So, I've been reading a lot of forum posts about how other people are not experiencing bump steer in their lowered F-Body and how a bump steer correction kit isn't needed. I have a 2in drop with 275/40/ZR17's on all four corners and I'm here to tell you bump steer is an issue for me. It isn't excessive just enough to be annoying. So I'm going to pick up a kit and post some pictures for you guys with an update on my experience and handling. Anyone else have the same issue or am I just the one in a million.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a bump steer kit on the car currently but I have yet to set it all up correctly. I just kind of eye balled it.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I definitely experience bump steer on my car, lowered 2"+ on coilovers with 295 nitto nt05's on all 4 corners. planning on picking up a bump steer kit over the winter to put on to correct it.

chrisingermany, where did you get your kit? I'm looking at the one from Midwest chassis
Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

IIRC I ended up getting the Spohn Kit for like $170. I know UMI has a nice kit out now as well. I know mine is off a good amount because when I lift the car the tires start to point toe in big time.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Good posts, if anyone beats me to it let me know your out comes.

as far as eyeballing it, how's that go? Did it improve it at all? I know you should go the full suspension travel amount during set up to get the best results but I'm wondering if anyone has been able to get near spot on eyeballing parallel
Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Now that my memory has been jostled a little. Last time I had the car up on the lift I remember the passenger side bump stop had the Teflon lining insert in the rod end starting to get squeezed out and damaged. So I would definitely look at a better (and most likely more expensive) kit as mine was less than 6 months old and started having issues.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Now that my memory has been jostled a little. Last time I had the car up on the lift I remember the passenger side bump stop had the Teflon lining insert in the rod end starting to get squeezed out and damaged. So I would definitely look at a better (and most likely more expensive) kit as mine was less than 6 months old and started having issues.

Thanks for the info, that was the kit I was thinking about going with... I'll dig deeper and see what's out there available for our cars
Old 10-26-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought the ones posted where ours for a second. MWC Bumpsteer kit

As for not needing it you surely do need it on any vehicle once you lower it.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
I thought the ones posted where ours for a second. MWC Bumpsteer kit

As for not needing it you surely do need it on any vehicle once you lower it.

I knew it was needed, and I'm glad someone else and other people are confirming it. The car was lowered when I bought it 10 years ago. I really didn't notice it as much until I went with some larger wheels. My Comp T/A sat in cold storage for about 4-5 years and I'm just now getting around to correcting the little things. That's why I was so surprised by the multitude of posts people have made over the years saying they're not experiencing bump steer and the kits not needed for F-Bodies. I am ASE certified and I can tell you right now the tie rod end is a little off at current ride height as well as feel it when moving down the road. Part of my winter project is to correct as much of the steering geometry as I can as well as hopefully end up with a watts link in the rear.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Our bump steer kit includes a Corvette inner tie rod and the correct length sleeve to make it all work properly. If you have any questions about the UMI bump steer kit let me know.

ramey
Old 11-01-2017, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my car lowered on BMR springs so a 1.25"-1.5" drop with stock replacement tie rod ends and while the bump steer isn't that bad, it's definably there when I drive it hard on the track. I can only see it being worst with a 2" drop. When I was doing my research before I rebuilt the front end, I heard a lot of people say the bump steer wasn't bad on these cars when they're lowered so I bought replacement Moog tie rod ends but when you look under my car now you definably see the tie rods angled up. When it comes time to redo the tie rod ends, I'm probably going to get a bump steer kit to level those out at ride height.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Bump steer kit solved my tracking issues. Not sure how much its lowered.

Quick Reply: Bump Steer