Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need a slight bump in ride height

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017 | 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Actually I have a catted-Y, dont know why I put ORY. Anyway, before the spacers I had about 2.5" of clearance at the lowest point (behind the cat). I didnt measure the pass side but there is definitely more clearance. Now I'd say there is about 3.25" of clearance, though I havent measured, just eyeballing it.
Old 12-03-2017 | 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by capelajc
Where did you order from? And did you only do the spacer or the hose mod as well?
I ordered them from Summit, since they have a warehouse here in NV they got here within 2 days. No hose mod, thought about it but figured I'd try it like this first.
Old 12-03-2017 | 04:51 PM
TECH Regular
15 Year Member

Cool, looks great! I think it's exactly what I need to do to the rear on mine.
Old 12-03-2017 | 04:56 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse
Actually I have a catted-Y, dont know why I put ORY. Anyway, before the spacers I had about 2.5" of clearance at the lowest point (behind the cat). I didnt measure the pass side but there is definitely more clearance. Now I'd say there is about 3.25" of clearance, though I havent measured, just eyeballing it.
Thanks. So your pics with the Gatorade bottle are taken from the driver's side facing directly across towards the passenger side?

I'm still on the factory wheels and OEM tires. I guess if I ever put larger wheels & tires on the car I could get a bit of bump in clearance. It's pretty low right now and I would prefer to avoid installing spacers. My car will likely never see daily driver duty again.
Old 12-03-2017 | 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Right, drivers side facing pass. I'm running 275/45-17s all around which are basically OE diameter, just a hair bigger.
Old 12-14-2017 | 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Well, lovin the additional ride height so far. Haven't scraped any part of the undercarriage since, even tried hitting a few dips at decent speeds. One speed bump I went over I thought for sure it was going to scrape on my y-pipe, nope. Also, I'm not sure if I've hit the rear bumpstops once. Now, I can tell a difference in handling, but only when really tossing the car around at speed. The rear-end can start getting a hair twitchy when it was completely planted before. Small price to pay in my eyes, once she isnt a DD I'll remove the spacers but for now I couldn't be happier. If you like your ride but just need a bit of height these spacers are a great option. No need to change springs which can change the ride considerably and cost at least 2.5x-3x more than these spacers.
Old 12-14-2017 | 01:07 PM
On The Tree

It sounds like I am too late for suggesting taller tires to gain a softer ride and clearance. Keep the tall, soft tires on during the week, put the low profiles back on when it is time to go canyon carving.
I suggest this because it is what I do. When I have the 50's on, it is smooth sailing. I put the 30's on and I am ready for the track.
Old 12-14-2017 | 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Considering all the spacers were about $80 and I just bought new tires for the car a few months ago, new, new tires are out of the question. Taller tires also dont give more suspension up-travel, which keeps the car from hitting the rear bumpstops as often or as hard. That was a big reason to do this experiment.
Old 01-06-2018 | 08:26 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

From: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Here are a couple more pics of my clearance. I have about 2.5" at the lowest point on the driver's side. My car will never be a daily driver, but I think I would like to have a bit more clearance. I don't really want to use spacers, so not sure what options I have. I suspect I'll be getting larger wheels & tires someday, which might help a bit assuming I end up with larger than stock overall diameter.
Attached Thumbnails Need a slight bump in ride height-wp_20180101_09_56_42_pro.jpg   Need a slight bump in ride height-wp_20180101_09_57_02_pro.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need a slight bump in ride height