Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best lowering springs ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree 100000000%

Giving advice and being friendly is part of being a business owner. The reason to buy the same product for more money from a "little guy" is simply due to having respect and "help the little guy" thought process.

If the customer only cares about price, then it's difficult to compete when the same products can be had cheaper even if it's for free shipping.

I personally have not had the best interaction online nor on the phone with Sam, maybe I caught him on an "off day". I know many praise him for his customer support, but most like to accept his opinons blindly and do not argue. I, however, do not do that and like to be educated on the topic which requires more conversation which turns into a one sided chat.

I appreciate the work you did on your springs, I ran them for 2 years. I appreciate your work on the brake booster brace, I bought one. I appreciate your involvement on UMI's coil overs, I run them now. But the secrecy of wheel offset, shipping charges after the fact, and the defensive responses to anything that resembles going against your opinion and "designing" and marketing the hub adapters irks me. No law against copying something without a patent, but credit goes to Rocketman for the hub adapter design IMO. He designed them and you (with your connections/financial capability) are able to bring them to the masses easier than Rocketman could. So both have their place in the racing community.

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
I’ve said it before Sam, I respect your contribution to the industry and your accomplishments doing so. You are indeed a wealth of knowledgeable and experienced on the products and how they perform. That said, I do not appreciate the half-truths and omitting of information when conversing with folks to manipulate their decision so they buy products from you. It’s a constant sales push on people to buy products from you. You go out of your way to sway their decision to buy from you or to divert the conversation in your shop’s direction. Taking advantage of uneducated consumers is what you’re doing.

Examples of this are simple: You’ll just jump in on a conversation and state your offerings of similar products. Full disclosure of products you sell are not divulged even when asked unless money is exchanged 1st…simple parts list or parts numbers on various items, Forgestar wheel offsets, your brake kit specs. Calling your shop, placing the order and shipping cost can’t/won’t be told to you, it needs to be added on later once order processes. You’ve lied about things when the truth will completely do, “FWIW, I have never laid eyes on even a picture of the other adapters” (referring to post #49 https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...t-shirt-3.html).

Majority of the vendors give full insight and aid others in product decision making process without playing victim or guilting them for the sale. They answer questions (not saying they’re not biased to their offerings), the customer is made aware of the parts the components they are buying before money exchanges hands. The consumer makes their decision with all the information they wanted/needed.

It’s 2018. Employers and employees alike are entitled to nothing unless it’s earned and worked for. Earning people’s business is interpreted differently from one company to the next. If you’re doing the best you can do, great. Nothing to be upset about, you’ve done all you can. But don’t be bitter or get defensive and play victim because someone posted the link to a product, off another vendor’s site, to simply answer the question of the original poster. Your shop doesn’t come up 1st on google when “umi camaro lowering springs” is searched https://www.google.com/search?biw=11....0.JcVR66H58-w

Bottom line, I flat out do not care how anyone spends their money or how it’s allocated (including your possessions, your income, your operating costs). I do care however when I read through a thread and someone isn’t getting the whole picture painted for them by you or anyone else. Forums exist for information sharing. Contribute the best information you can so it’s of quality value when people read it. If you’re a vendor you’ll be rewarded accordingly if the information shared is respected/appreciated by the person and they have a need for your products or services you offer.

We as consumers work hard for our money too, so spending it on an elastic hobby like performance vehicles is an extra for most of us. Money is going where we get the most for it. If your business model rests on pulling in customers from forums and expecting them to pay more based on your perceived consultation, that’s your fight to fight. Remember there’s a vast amount of information out there, giving insight to consumers…forums, google, etc… then a simple google search gets best total price from various suppliers and returns without 20% restocking fees.

Additionally, you still never answered my question from 2 days ago that spurred your defensive paragraphs of commentary and my lengthy response. Summit Racing is offering UMI springs for $239.99/shipped. Your site doesn’t specify the total price, even at checkout, on any product. You can’t tell us shipping at the time of a phone sale either. What’s the answer if the OP is interested in buying springs or other products and does their due diligence on price?

I genuinely wish you and the shop nothing but the best, Sam. I respectfully think you’re able to do better with regard to the way you carry yourself when conversing with your potential customers.
Well said.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Well that took a turn.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Pun intended? Handling section....springs...eh? eh?
Old 02-02-2018, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

well, ok then. I guess that is what I get for being straightforward. It's any wonder businesses only seek to get to the bottom line.

It is a free country, you can call who you want for your parts. But I don't see it as defensive when I try to explain my position when it comes to support, the laws about sales tax, and how things work in the real world.

I know that many think I am here solely for the purpose of getting my brain picked, and many, mostly those that are self-employed, understand exactly where I am coming from. I have a business to run. I AM price competitive. The advice IS free. Yet the game is played constantly where folks milk for information, run off to Amazon or Ebay, or wherever to save a few bucks to buy from a place that offered no help, and no support. It's not hard to get part numbers, and if that is the game, well I can't stop that.

This isn't a game, this isn't me working at night from my Kitchen table as a side business.

THIS WEEK someone did all this, exactly. His Dad, a happy customer for years told the kid to call. He did, we talked, I recommended. I did so without an order. I get a note from him later asking about what brake pads to run with his setup, with one of my online order forms copied on the email. But I didn't recall an order. And sure enough, there wasn't one. But he wanted to make it look like he ordered from me, so cut an pasted that form into the email when he came back looking for MORE free advice. His Dad found out, from the kid I guess. And wrote me a note saying he was sorry and he thought he raised him better than that, because he (the Dad) is self-employed, and understands how this stuff happens as it happens to him all the time.

So yes, I am a little sensitive about being used, and most people are.

Are you going to attack UMI for charging Sales tax on PA sales, and shipping? No my site does not show shipping, because I AM A SMALL BUSINESS THAT SELLS A LOT OF THINGS, often orders can have 10 things from 6 places. And it's not possible for my site to calculate all those things, we are talking hundreds and thousands of different parts. And here's another thing. I TRY my best to bundle things to save shipping, which a generic shipping quote program cannot do. And getting a shipping quote is not hard. strano@stranoparts.com: Sam, can you give me a total shipped to XXXXX?

I know I am not everyone's cut of tea. I think it's impossible to be everything to everyone. I try and do the best I can for my customers, and I think if you ask most any of them you will find I have always been very upfront, and done my job for them.

There is not much more I can say here except I am sorry you saw fit to dirty up the thread by first recommending non sponsors, then crapping on me for explaining myself.

This was about springs, and that is what it should be about.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I agree 100000000%

Giving advice and being friendly is part of being a business owner. The reason to buy the same product for more money from a "little guy" is simply due to having respect and "help the little guy" thought process.

If the customer only cares about price, then it's difficult to compete when the same products can be had cheaper even if it's for free shipping.

I personally have not had the best interaction online nor on the phone with Sam, maybe I caught him on an "off day". I know many praise him for his customer support, but most like to accept his opinons blindly and do not argue. I, however, do not do that and like to be educated on the topic which requires more conversation which turns into a one sided chat.

I appreciate the work you did on your springs, I ran them for 2 years. I appreciate your work on the brake booster brace, I bought one. I appreciate your involvement on UMI's coil overs, I run them now. But the secrecy of wheel offset, shipping charges after the fact, and the defensive responses to anything that resembles going against your opinion and "designing" and marketing the hub adapters irks me. No law against copying something without a patent, but credit goes to Rocketman for the hub adapter design IMO. He designed them and you (with your connections/financial capability) are able to bring them to the masses easier than Rocketman could. So both have their place in the racing community.
Holy hell.

First, there are no charges after the fact, customers are informed of the shipping when the order is finalized on the phone. Trust me, I wish like hell I did not have to do it that way, and folks seem to think free shipping is free. It isn't. Someone has to pay for it, and that someone would be me, on everything. At the same time, everyone wants a competitive price, but if the shipping loss comes in, the price goes up, and then Sam isn't competitive. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Do I have bad days? Sure, who doesn't? Do I spend a ton of time on the phone answering questions, often the same one over and over, and almost always starting with "I read on the internet". It's not easy to try and help someone who has only what they read on the web, and not a lot of techincal background and no idea what they really want the car to do. It takes a lot of sort through that.

And to be upset at me for offering to explain how something works is insane. Most folks like that, and if you aren't one then that's fine, but if I think something isn't going to work in a system well, that's critical for people to know, because guess who gets the blame if it doesn't work? Hint, 99% of the time the customer never blames themselves.

And the "secret offset" on the wheels. Gee, I wonder why I don't want to pour it on the web. The reason and proof of why I keep what I developed to myself on that is right here in this thread. There are those that can, and will take something I did and go price shopping. Well, screw that. I work hard around here and I will be damned if I will be screwed if I can help it, but that seems to upset you guys. I can't figure out why, unless, and except it is because you are mad that I didn't make it easy for you to do exactly what I am trying to avoid.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And to be upset at me for offering to explain how something works is insane. Most folks like that, and if you aren't one then that's fine, but if I think something isn't going to work in a system well, that's critical for people to know, because guess who gets the blame if it doesn't work? Hint, 99% of the time the customer never blames themselves.
Nope, I mentioned the opposite. I have tried to ask the "why this why that" but I feel it came off as disagreement when I was only looking for a more technical explanation of the situation, to which point it was a one sided discussion being told what I should do because your race history proves it. I assume I am a minority with this opinion but the numerous interactions I have had were the same way so I stopped interacting.
Is what it is and I move on.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sitting here laughing because people are upset that Sam doesn't publicly post the wheel offset? Believe it or not, that's a competitive edge. You don't just give that one away especially if you spent countless hours on getting the right fitment.

I know other shops do the same and they run the same exact wheels on Corvettes and F-bodies. They'll probably laugh at you and hang up the phone if you're just wanting the wheel offsets because they know you'll just go somewhere down the road that will probably sell it to you below MAP just to get a sales target (which is what gets a lot of vendors in trouble).
Old 02-02-2018, 02:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Nope, I mentioned the opposite. I have tried to ask the "why this why that" but I feel it came off as disagreement when I was only looking for a more technical explanation of the situation, to which point it was a one sided discussion being told what I should do because your race history proves it. I assume I am a minority with this opinion but the numerous interactions I have had were the same way so I stopped interacting.
Is what it is and I move on.
I do my best to explain things, but it's difficult to give someone a complete education on the phone, and also hope they understand.

Let me ask, how long were we on the phone? 1 minute, 5? 15? 30? I am willing to bet it was closer to 30, if not more than it was to 5. Have we talked more than once, you seem to indicate that we have. So are you telling me that you have never gotten any useful information?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I must have missed something... never knew the wheel offsets were such a secretive topic. I thought what would work was known to the masses.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't people understand that Sam isn't a "tech info line"??? Your time is the most expensive item you own, spend it wisely.

If he doesn't want to give away things HE took the time to figure out, why is this an issue?? He is in business, to remain in business he has to make a profit.

He's answered the phone on the weekend when I called him from the track, I bought the car with all his stuff already on it.

He gets a bad wrap, but he continues to develop a platform no one else wants to mess with, better be nice to him is all I can say or you'll end up with BMR as the only place to go to to buy parts....and all they do is sell parts.

Sam tests and develops parts.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni/strano is best setup. Overkill for my setup (car is slow af) but it ******* rocks. Sam is a great seller and helped me install my setup when I had issues. Bought a few things from him and he will tell you to NOT buy things from him if you don't need them.

Member when BMR copied stranos springs? I member.

Best lowering springs ?-5wf1fleh.jpg

Best lowering springs ?-fczkzboh.jpg

Last edited by ThoR294; 02-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fox16 (06-09-2020)
Old 02-02-2018, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I do my best to explain things, but it's difficult to give someone a complete education on the phone, and also hope they understand.

Let me ask, how long were we on the phone? 1 minute, 5? 15? 30? I am willing to bet it was closer to 30, if not more than it was to 5. Have we talked more than once, you seem to indicate that we have. So are you telling me that you have never gotten any useful information?
Multiple conversations toward 30min length. Different topics...10 bolt gearing selection (where I was looking to buy 4.10's etc), front strut ride height issues due to possible collapsed upper mounts, maximum spring rate for Koni Sport shocks. All ended in one sided conversation where you told me what to do in somewhat irritated manner.

I will stop responding in this thread to not make this a 1 on 1 argument about my own personal experience.

OP sorry for the clutter.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ThoR294

Member when BMR copied stranos springs? I member.

I don't know the whole story, but is there something saying one company can not have the same Load/Rate of another company springs? Only so much you can change on a spring to give a certain performance characteristic. In the end it's most likely laziness on BMR's side lol.

You'd be surprised how this plays out on a mass produced OEM scale where R&D is MANY times higher than Sam's R&D...not bashing, just simply from a overhead/resource aspect.

Sam markets a VERY similar if not identical SKF hub adapter which originated from Rocketman on FRRAX...Sam saw a need to get adapters to the masses easier than Rocketman could and capitalized on it.

Plus, car may be slow, but it can take corners fast
Old 02-02-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I talked to Sam one time. To be completely honest he cane across as a bit rude and condescending, but I get a feeling his intentions and heart are in the right place. To me, even more importantly, is his hardcore honesty and willing to question the status quo, even when the absolute majority seem to disagree. And for that I highly respect his opinion and what he's doing
Old 02-02-2018, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems rare to find a builder/owner that has the people skills to also pull off customer service. Not talking about Sam... just speaking in general about something I've noticed. I know several folks/companies who are the owners of a shop, are also the mechanics, and fabricators... and are not so easy to deal w/ over the phone. They just don't have the patience to deal w/ customers. It's simply not in their skill set. That's where knowledgeable customer service reps w/ quality people skills come in quite well (but that also costs money, too). Easier said than done, I know.

One exception to this is Midwest Chassis. I've called them several times in regards to having a rear end built and they've been incredibly patient and helpful, despite also doing the building/assembling. Guys, if you're reading this... I know you've got to get frustrated handling customer calls while you're building stuff, but you handle it all incredibly well and professionally. Good job. It's noticed and appreciated.

Last edited by DANSBIRD; 02-02-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
It seems rare to find a builder/owner that has the people skills to also pull off customer service. Not talking about Sam... just speaking in general about something I've noticed. I know several folks/companies who are the owners of a shop, are also the mechanics, and fabricators... and are not so easy to deal w/ over the phone. It's simply not in their skill set. That's where knowledgeable customer service reps w/ quality people skills come in quite well (but that also costs money, too). Easier said than done, I know.

One exception to this is Midwest Chassis. I've called them several times in regards to having a rear end built and they've been incredibly patient and helpful, despite also doing the building/assembling. Guys, if you're reading this... I know you've got to get frustrated handling customer calls while you're building stuff, but you handle it all incredibly well and professionally. Good job. It's noticed and appreciated.
You hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree more!
Old 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did notice that Sam may come off rough over the phone but at least he's giving correct answers... Instead of being wrong and a jerk
Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Let me take a moment to apologize if I offended anyone.

In my defense, I think this pretty much sums it all up:

"Multiple conversations toward 30min length. Different topics...10 bolt gearing selection (where I was looking to buy 4.10's etc), front strut ride height issues due to possible collapsed upper mounts, maximum spring rate for Koni Sport shocks. All ended in one sided conversation where you told me what to do in somewhat irritated manner."

If you didn't like what I had to say, don't call me. You asked a big range of questions. Multiple conversations toward 30 minutes, ok was it 2? Was it only an hour of my life I spent trying to help, or more? At what point should I draw the line on trying to help when the topics range from 4.10's, to broken shock mounts, to spring rates, etc.

Let's be real here. Between the statement above, and getting upset about not spilling my guts on my wheel setup, it becomes more and more clear you just want the information with no intent on placing a value on the information. You'll buy from me if I do all this AND have the cheapest price, I guess is the take away. And if I argue that price isn't everything that I spent that time, and I get exasperated, I'm a meany.

Honestly, that is an impossible position to be in. Like I said, damned if I do (give information), and damned if I don't.
The following users liked this post:
jmilz28 (04-28-2024)
Old 02-02-2018, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam... you just need a progressive information system. You base your given wisdom on how much the potential customer has already spent. Make them start off by purchasing a $30 part and that purchase gets them 1 minute or 2 questions... whichever comes first. Then, when they spend a few hundred bucks, you yield a little more information if they ask. Once they progress up to some Strano springs and Koni shocks, they should have your undivided attention.

Quick Reply: Best lowering springs ?