Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing top bolt for factory torque arm bracket on transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing top bolt for factory torque arm bracket on transmission?

I'm installing a torque arm relocation crossmember on my A4 Camaro and I can't seem to get that top bolt out where the factory torque arm clamshell mounts to the transmission housing. I lowered the transmission as much as I can and I can't seem to get that bolt out. It's hitting the under body of the car, there's nothing I can move out of the way to get it to come out. Do most people just leave it in there or do they cut it out? I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem on here.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I got mine out but it was a real pain in the ***.. I believe I had to remove the y-pipe hanger bracket to get it out...
Old 02-04-2018, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

it is sooooooooooooooooo much easier if you just remove the tailshaft housing.......and get a new rear seal while ya have it off ....ask me how I know
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies guys. My Y-pipe support bracket has been out since I changed my exhaust and I really didn't want to have to go through the trouble of removing the tailshaft housing and finding a new seal just to get this stupid bolt out, so I just tightened it up where it was and luckily had enough clearance to bolt the crossmember on without any interference. Unfortunately BMR sent the wrong nuts for most of the torque arm bracket bolts, so now I have to wait for them to respond and hopefully ship the right mounting hardware out to me.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 00-Z28
Thanks for the replies guys. My Y-pipe support bracket has been out since I changed my exhaust and I really didn't want to have to go through the trouble of removing the tailshaft housing and finding a new seal just to get this stupid bolt out, so I just tightened it up where it was and luckily had enough clearance to bolt the crossmember on without any interference. Unfortunately BMR sent the wrong nuts for most of the torque arm bracket bolts, so now I have to wait for them to respond and hopefully ship the right mounting hardware out to me.
If you're talking the transmission crossmember to chassis mount bolts you can just run to the hardware store and grab 4
Old 02-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
If you're talking the transmission crossmember to chassis mount bolts you can just run to the hardware store and grab 4
while this is true, is it unreasonable for one to expect a part that cost $260 to at least come with nuts and bolts that actually match?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

while this is true, is it unreasonable for one to expect a part that cost $260 to at least come with nuts and bolts that actually match?
I totally agree with this. This is why I bought mine used. No way in hell am I paying $260 for this part
Old 02-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I totally agree with this. This is why I bought mine used. No way in hell am I paying $260 for this part
I probably should have bought used too, but at least they have good customer service. Got back to me promptly and they're sending out the correct hardware today.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I probably should have bought used too, but at least they have good customer service. Got back to me promptly and they're sending out the correct hardware today.
Yep Eric over at BMR is awesome to deal with. Always patient and answers all questions. Can't say that about just any company nowadays unfortunately
Old 02-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Yep Eric over at BMR is awesome to deal with. Always patient and answers all questions. Can't say that about just any company nowadays unfortunately
I dealt with Kyle, he was great. I wouldn't hesitate to give them business in the future.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

I dealt with Kyle, he was great. I wouldn't hesitate to give them business in the future.
I dealt with both Eric and Kyle a few months back ordering some replacement parts... they both were awesome and helped me out really well... on the other hand though, I'm totally with you guys. The amount of money I've spent on parts and such over the years and how many hiccups I've had with incorrect hardware or hardware not being included really burns me. Just makes things that in my opinion should be so simple become such a headache, and you guys know how easy it is to get a bolt, but just how annoying it is to find the right one or exactly the right length and most of us have day jobs, so we work on our stuff at night or on Sundays, when most hardware stores are closed.... a $2 bag of hardware from Lowes can hold guys like us up for days... very frustrating to say the least.

Quick Reply: Removing top bolt for factory torque arm bracket on transmission?