Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to hold hub while torquing wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to hold hub while torquing wheel studs

Installing Strange race brakes and not sure how to hold the front hubs to install the wheel studs without damaging them in a vice.

Last edited by Rick01SS; 06-06-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a nut with the same threads or use a open lug, put the studs through the hole on the hub, put a washer or two over the stud(a larger washer than you would use to fasten a bolt, the washers will squash and get stuck), use a impact gun to pull the stud through the hole. Before it is fully through you can use a square and check that they are being pulled perpendicular. If not, protect the threads with the nut and give it the old tappy tap until its straight. Be careful to use enough washers so that the stud gets pulled until it is fully seated and use a high grade nut and washers. This is how i do studs.

anddd dont just go full pull and keep pulling it, watch to see if it is seated or youll strip the nut... or worse the stud
Old 06-07-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^That is how I seat the new studs. As far as how to lock the wheel hubs from turning, I used a very long screwdriver through one of the extra holes in the wheel hub and locked it against the spindle.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, I just put some thread locker and hit it with the impact good. I'll try this next time. Thanks!