Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need advice on shocks and springs 2002 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on shocks and springs 2002 camaro

So my uncle just passed away, and my grandpa gave me his 2002 z28 camaro. It's in great shape, used to be a Colorado highway patrol car. All stock I'm pretty sure. I don't know much about cars, but driving this one has got me hooked... It's clear it needs new shocks/struts. And I found brand new springs still in the bubble wrap in the trunk. I don't know why he would have just bought the springs though. I'm hoping to look around the house and find some shocks somewhere. He has car parts all over the house. So my question is, how do I know if the pair of springs is for the rear or front? Also, which would be easier for me to start with the rear or the front? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, just always been a truck guy, but this car has me wanting to get to know it myself, and put some money into it and learn as I upgrade the performance. First on the list is the suspension. So anyone with advice on where to buy the shocks, and tips on installing them, and the springs I found, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your uncle. Best wishes to your family.

The front springs are straight, the rears have a pigtail at the bottom (where the coil gets much smaller in diameter).

The rears are a BUNCH easier.

Ad for shocks (fourthgens do not have struts, but do have a coil-over shock in front), Bilstein HD or Koni SA, depending on budget.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

one of the most important questions is shocks/sporings, is how much you trying to spend.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Having a budget will be very helpful. Also the the type of driving and goals for the car
Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
one of the most important questions is shocks/sporings, is how much you trying to spend.
well my grandpa said he would pay for the shocks, but I don't want him spending a lot of money. So I'll throw some money in too. Idk, maybe 100-150$ for each pair if that's doable as far as goals for the cat, make it quick off the line and sound nice. Good handling, idk just gonna be a new Hobbie of mine
Old 07-13-2018, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Koni- str.t for a budget minded vast improvement. Check out the classifieds, lots of times there's gently used items that you can score for a great savings, like some rear bilsteins. https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...eat-deals.html Some pretty good how to's on here about how to install the front springs. Post a picture if you can, maybe we can ID the springs you have. Sorry to hear about your uncle too.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-6-5-15-a.html found the link and the pics work!!! I have a wall mounted spring compressor at work, much easier and safer, but plenty of people have gotten away using the grenade pins to swap them or build them up off the car. I'd replace everything as an assembly since it's all apart. In the how to they have to super minor shave down the moog isolator to fit the koni perch, I picked up the monroe perch/isolator and the isolator slid right into the koni perch no problem.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

as biketopia said, the Koni STR.T is a great budget friendly option that delivers excellent ride quality and improved performance, while still having the Koni quality and warranty coverage.

These shocks pair really well with our SP001 lowering springs. The valving is capable of handling our higher spring rates while keeping the car smooth and controlled

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbacks8

well my grandpa said he would pay for the shocks, but I don't want him spending a lot of money. So I'll throw some money in too. Idk, maybe 100-150$ for each pair if that's doable as far as goals for the cat, make it quick off the line and sound nice. Good handling, idk just gonna be a new Hobbie of mine
i would highly recommending just finding any gently used konis or the bilsteins. shocks are very easy to find good deals on here. no reason to buy new when they are both built very nice and made to last a few years

Quick Reply: Need advice on shocks and springs 2002 camaro