Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TA Pulls to The Left Or Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA Pulls to The Left Or Right

I have a 1998 Trans Am non-WS6 with 275/18's all the way around and they are all inflated to the proper specs with nitrogen. When driving on the highway or on a road that seems just a little more bumpy than normal, the car wants to pull to the left or to the right just slightly or it seems as if I'm fighting my steering wheel. I've hit the brakes a few times hoping that maybe a caliper may have been hung up slightly or something but it doesn't change anything. It's never specific to one side or the other it's just whatever it decides to do at that moment.

The shocks and the struts and springs are all newer and I've had the wheel alignment checked twice and it is absolutely dead on.

A friend of mine said his Corvette used to do the same thing because he had wider tires on all four corners and it's just the nature of the Beast. I would like to think with the proper wheel alignment that it would not be the case. The car has never had any accidents in the frame is Not Bent.

Do I have an overactive power steering pump? Is there a sway bar that's just not doing its job? Has anyone else experienced this issue and how did you deal with it? Thanks in advance for any input
Old 08-03-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Just because the alignment is in spec doesn't mean it's right. Your toe could be stacked one way or the other allowing to follow the road, also caster not being too positive I believe can give the steering wheel a "looser" feel and not return to center as easy. And yes bigger wide tires up front will exaggerate the feeling since it's more contact patch on the road. I'm sure some of the other guys on here and can give some good specs for what you should get your alignment set at.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i have 275’s up front and they seem to follow every little groove in the rd. Ill b getting 245’s tomorrow
Old 08-04-2018, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

wider tires tend to follow the grooves in the road... just how it is..

Quick Reply: TA Pulls to The Left Or Right