Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

5th Gen Camaro IRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5th Gen Camaro IRS

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has tried and/or succeeded in fitting the IRS off of a 5th gen into their 4th gen. The 5th gen's rear end would offer more power handling, better ride, better handling, better weight management, and a number of other benefits on top of low initial/parts cost.

It doesn't look like it would be all that difficult to set up versus the C4 IRS or the Heidts system. Due to the newer design, not to mention the parts availability, it would likely be a good candidate for a pro-touring style build. Has anyone tried this, or seen any examples of cars with this retrofitted?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Really? Nobody here has tried to fit a 5th gen or 6th gen rear into a 4th gen?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 94TAisfast
Really? Nobody here has tried to fit a 5th gen or 6th gen rear into a 4th gen?
I can see why when after you price out an IRS from a 5th gen or 6th gen, then cut and hack the car up enough for it to fit (if it even will fit), you might as well just buy a C5 by the time you have spent all the time and money to get it to work right.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

I don't see where the extra 6 or 7 grand is coming into play on this. A used 5th gen rear can be had for as little as under a grand, and if you can fabricate on your own, I don't see much more cost other than maybe new coilovers, which even if you go custom wouldn't be more than $3k. And if you get an lt1 car, the price difference is even greater.

Factor in the savings on an aftermarket rear, and the price of a Corvette gets farther and farther away.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Even if you get a free irs, the point is that you will spend a month straight in the garage installing and working out bugs. Most people don't have that kind of spare time
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Alright, good point. Let's just not even consider something different because it has never been done before and it seems a bit complicated.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Even if you get a free irs, the point is that you will spend a month straight in the garage installing and working out bugs. Most people don't have that kind of spare time
Isn't that kinda the point? I love building stuff. I'd love to by a spare roller and try this someday. For someone that doesn't know how to work on cars or fab anything this would seem like a terrible idea but looking at that rear cradle I think it would be very easy to swap in with a little fab work.
The following users liked this post:
Bob's camaro (01-11-2024)