Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
in the rear the body is suspended via a spring to the rear which is essentially the frame and is controlled by the sway bar and the panhard bar, attached also by the shock. The rear is level, the body is not! I bought this car originally in 1997 and has never had and accident or event that would twist the body/frame up front.
So since people say thia is common with these cars and nobody has come up with a Fix in 25 years I guess I will need to come up with something myself.
You mean the axle is suspended via a spring? What you said makes no sense.
Are you saying the rear axle is level, but the chassis/body is not? If that is the case, again look at the springs and the spring mounts and how they sit.
Nothing is twisted, bent or anything, nothing is wrong with the body/chassis of the car, its the spring mounting points and how the spring sits that will effect height like this.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You mean the axle is suspended via a spring? What you said makes no sense.
Are you saying the rear axle is level, but the chassis/body is not? If that is the case, again look at the springs and the spring mounts and how they sit.
Nothing is twisted, bent or anything, nothing is wrong with the body/chassis of the car, its the spring mounting points and how the spring sits that will effect height like this.
Do you try to be difficult or does it just come natural? Please don't reply to my posts. Thank You.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you try to be difficult or does it just come natural? Please don't reply to my posts. Thank You.
Yeah, but he's right though. The axle would be level unless it was bent. I would check everything with the springs.

When I put my springs and shocks on they kept wanting to turn on me. I had to jack the car up and adjust the springs three times before I got them to sit correctly. I did get rid of the isolators and do the heater hose mod though.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The frame is in balance the body is not. You are saying that this is a common issue with these cars. It seems a shim will fix it. Anybody have a part# or place that I can call/contact to get one? I would like my car to sit level
My Corvette has adjusting bolts to take care of this issue.
Ok gotcha. Unfortunately the rear quarters are all welded so it would be major surgery to fix without changing ride height also. Front fenders are adjusted a little easier though.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for trying to help
Old 09-09-2018, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Ok gotcha. Unfortunately the rear quarters are all welded so it would be major surgery to fix without changing ride height also. Front fenders are adjusted a little easier though.
Yea I just want to jack up the body a little on the driver side rear. I'll do a search on this heater hose mod. I see pictures of this on google. I would think that the weight of the body would make the spring (wobble) push right thru the rubber the heater hose is made of no?
Old 09-09-2018, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Yeah, but he's right though. The axle would be level unless it was bent. I would check everything with the springs.

When I put my springs and shocks on they kept wanting to turn on me. I had to jack the car up and adjust the springs three times before I got them to sit correctly. I did get rid of the isolators and do the heater hose mod though.
I was just thinking about what you said. are you saying if one spring turns that could adjust the ride height?
Old 09-09-2018, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think orientation of the spring can make a slight difference, but maybe I'm OCD. Either way I just keep the pigtail of the spring turned the same direction on both sides.

The heater hose will compress a little but won't wear thru if you you new quality hose. But changing effective spring height will change frame to ground height so you will sacrifice that for appearance.