Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear ride height?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question rear ride height?

My 1998 Camaro Z28 with all stock suspension except for Koni Strt shocks is not even. I noticed looking at the rear of my car today it didn't sit right. I measured from the wheel opening to the ground and on the passenger side i got 27 1/2" and 26 1/2" on the driver side. Is there an easy fix for this unbalance?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Was it like that before the Konis?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Was it like that before the Konis?
not sure
Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1121
not sure
Well that might matter so you know where to maybe start. The isolators are on correctly?
Old 09-04-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any Fbody that didn't have a lean like that, including my current. I have always just chalked it up to how the rear suspension works with the panhard rod setup. I've tried turning the isolators and all...nothing fixes it.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
I haven't had any Fbody that didn't have a lean like that, including my current. I have always just chalked it up to how the rear suspension works with the panhard rod setup. I've tried turning the isolators and all...nothing fixes it.
wow... I bought this car in November of 1997 and never noticed this lean as you call it. I looked at everything underneath and all looks good. Is there any way to fix this? I was thinking maybe the spring is just shot but only the one.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

If everything is good and done right you could just buy a thicker isolator or do some spring spacers
Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
If everything is good and done right you could just buy a thicker idolator or do some spring spacers
I didn't know that thicker idolaters were an option. Is there a good place to buy thee?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't know that thicker idolaters were an option. Is there a good place to buy thee?
I forget the exact part number but I got a pair of Moog isolators from Orileys
Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I found some 1/4" aluminium spacers on ebay pretty cheap. They are some kind of circle/dirt/nascar surplus and they have different sizes so gotta find the right one. I think it is about 4 7/8" ID, 5 1/2" OD

And of course measuring to the fender is for looks only. If you care about better balance, put it on level surface and measure the to rear lower control arm bolt (body side) and the front bolt of the front lower control arm. Fronts should be about 3/4" lower than rear.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I found some 1/4" aluminium spacers on ebay pretty cheap. They are some kind of circle/dirt/nascar surplus and they have different sizes so gotta find the right one. I think it is about 4 7/8" ID, 5 1/2" OD

And of course measuring to the fender is for looks only. If you care about better balance, put it on level surface and measure the to rear lower control arm bolt (body side) and the front bolt of the front lower control arm. Fronts should be about 3/4" lower than rear.
Yes you are correct, I measured the frame to the ground and it looks good. The body is the part that doesn't come out right, so it's in the spring area.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow... I bought this car in November of 1997 and never noticed this lean as you call it. I looked at everything underneath and all looks good. Is there any way to fix this? I was thinking maybe the spring is just shot but only the one.
Since they're super easy to remove why not try switching the left and right to see if you still have the problem?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have seen this intermittently on these cars. Out of the 12 or so I have owned, about half have had it. Different years, models, options etc. seems to be no consistent pattern.
However, one thing I have found on cars that have had suspension work done, is sometimes taking the sway bar end links loose and letting the car settle, then reconnecting them with the car under load. I have seen them put preload into the chassis that causes a ride height variation and often ride quality issues as well

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My 1998 Camaro Z28 with all stock suspension except for Koni Strt shocks is not even. I noticed looking at the rear of my car today it didn't sit right. I measured from the wheel opening to the ground and on the passenger side i got 27 1/2" and 26 1/2" on the driver side. Is there an easy fix for this unbalance?
Yes you are correct, I measured the frame to the ground and it looks good. The body is the part that doesn't come out right, so it's in the spring area.
I'm not sure I follow, you said in the first post you measured the wheel opening. If you measure from the ground to the bolt center that holds the rear lca to the body, it should be 7-8" on a stock 4th gen.

The body is notorious for not being even on these. Most people just live with it and other people dont even notice.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I have seen this intermittently on these cars. Out of the 12 or so I have owned, about half have had it. Different years, models, options etc. seems to be no consistent pattern.
However, one thing I have found on cars that have had suspension work done, is sometimes taking the sway bar end links loose and letting the car settle, then reconnecting them with the car under load. I have seen them put preload into the chassis that causes a ride height variation and often ride quality issues as well
So I'm not sure what you are suggesting? Are you saying that I should loosen the end links and then tighten them again while the wheels are under load?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
I'm not sure I follow, you said in the first post you measured the wheel opening. If you measure from the ground to the bolt center that holds the rear lca to the body, it should be 7-8" on a stock 4th gen.

The body is notorious for not being even on these. Most people just live with it and other people don't even notice.
The frame is in balance the body is not. You are saying that this is a common issue with these cars. It seems a shim will fix it. Anybody have a part# or place that I can call/contact to get one? I would like my car to sit level
My Corvette has adjusting bolts to take care of this issue.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

My Trans Am had the same issue. It may have been leaning even more than yours because it was pretty obvious when looking at it from the back. Over time, I had replaced every rear suspension part and almost every front part and it never changed. I tried rotating the rear springs, hose mod, even tried a hose mod on just the driver side. Nothing changed it. I eventually concluded the frame was twisted, bought a roller, and swapped everything in. The new car has about 1/4 inch lean which evens out when I'm sitting in it.

I know this isn't what you wanted to here but good luck.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The frame is in balance the body is not. You are saying that this is a common issue with these cars. It seems a shim will fix it. Anybody have a part# or place that I can call/contact to get one? I would like my car to sit level
My Corvette has adjusting bolts to take care of this issue.
I don't see how the frame can be "in balance" but the body not, these are unibody cars, the body is the frame.

Take a look at how the springs are sitting on the axle, due to how the perch is on the axle the springs should have a very slight bow to them, here is an example from a third gen, compare how straight the spring is to the panhard bar mount:

Im betting something like this will alter ride height a little, especially if those mounts on the axle are bent a little, causing the spring to sit even funnier.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I don't see how the frame can be "in balance" but the body not, these are unibody cars, the body is the frame.

Take a look at how the springs are sitting on the axle, due to how the perch is on the axle the springs should have a very slight bow to them, here is an example from a third gen, compare how straight the spring is to the panhard bar mount:

Im betting something like this will alter ride height a little, especially if those mounts on the axle are bent a little, causing the spring to sit even funnier.
in the rear the body is suspended via a spring to the rear which is essentially the frame and is controlled by the sway bar and the panhard bar, attached also by the shock. The rear is level, the body is not! I bought this car originally in 1997 and has never had and accident or event that would twist the body/frame up front.
So since people say thia is common with these cars and nobody has come up with a Fix in 25 years I guess I will need to come up with something myself.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

I want to say Thank You to all that have contributed.