Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Suspension Set up/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Front Suspension Set up/Concerns

With about 500 miles on my build, its time to address some small issues.

The Car:

2000 Z28
-PA Racing Tubular K Member
-Spohn Adjustable Lower control arms(spherical rod ends)
-UMI Non Adjustable Upper Control arms(Poly)
-Strange Single Adjustable Coil overs w. #275 springs
-UMI Solid engine mounts
-No Front Sway Bar
-Stock upper control arm plates
-All Assembled with brand new hardware.

Driving on anything that isnt a perfectly smooth road or highway results in some TERRIBLE squeaks and creaks from the front end. I drove threw a cars and coffee this past weekend and i was getting a ton of looks, and im pretty sure it was bc my cars sounded like a creaky door and not bc there was a 4th gen on Hoosiers in a sea of McLarens!

Now is this creak and squeak just a "nature of the beast" kind of thing? This is my first car with "race" front end components, so its new to me. The car was aligned by a local racer(Carlos Sobrino for those familiar with NMRA Factory Stock ) and all adjustable points on both the front and rear were marked with paint marker, and nothing has backed out or loosened. The sound isnt a huge huge deal to me, but if you guys think something may be up or if there is anything i should look into/lube i want to know. I can deal with the sounds, i just dont want to be damaging anything.

Also when i hit anything with a bump more so than a manhole cover, it rattles the car pretty bad. I very loud sound from the front end. Almost like i bottomed out the shock. I have not touched the settings on the coil overs since taking them out of the box.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Launching!

nothing ?
Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried greasing the bushings?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Have you tried greasing the bushings?
Hit the bushings and rod ends with WD40 and it quieted it down for a day or 2
Old 10-10-2018, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have all rod ends on my front suspension and have no squeaking noises. It might be the poly bushings that are causing the noise. Try hitting just the poly bushings with WD40 and see if the noise goes away. Anyway, I would try to isolate where the noise is coming from with WD40 then you can go about trying to fix it. I had poly bushings before and had silicone grease on them and they didn't make noise... but I have had them squeak in the past. I had UMI roto-joints on my FLCA as well and they made no noise either. I currently have roto-joints on the RLCA and they are quiet.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by micbegz28
Hit the bushings and rod ends with WD40 and it quieted it down for a day or 2
Then it sounds like you found the problem. Your control arms with the poly bushings should have a grease fitting, don't they? If so buy a grease gun and the correct grease to go with it and grease them up and call it a day.