Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering springs

I have a set of strano springs on my ws6? Does anyone know any other set of springs that would lower the car more then the stranos.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I believe Eibach does
Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Ill have to check into those
Old 10-09-2018, 04:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You want lower springs than mine? I can do that. UMI's do. Eibach Sportlines do. Eibach Pro-kits do, a little though mostly in the rear. All brands I carry.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-10-2018, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...don't think I've ever seen anyone want to get rid of their Strano springs! They'll sell lot hotcakes on the used marked! I've got Strano springs with his Koni 4/3 shock combo and couldn't be happier!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's rare but if he wants it lower who am I to argue? Can't know all the time, some want the car slammed, others want stiffer springs and no lowering, it's all over. I went with a moderate height, if that's not low enough that's ok. He won't have any trouble selling those I don't think.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Teching In

I live in California so engine size I could only do so much because of smog. So I have 17 inch rims with the stranos I don't like the gap that is still left on the rear
Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Freddgs
I live in California so engine size I could only do so much because of smog. So I have 17 inch rims with the stranos I don't like the gap that is still left on the rear
If it's the gap in the rear only that you don't like, then just remove the isolators and put some heater hose around the coil. This way you don't need different springs and it will drop it a bit more
Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I've heard about that mod. How much more does it drop in the back.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll take those Strano springs off your hands... Yeah, their horrible.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Freddgs
I've heard about that mod. How much more does it drop in the back.
Anywhere from 1/2" to 1" from what I've seen
Old 10-10-2018, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had Stranos on my car for 3 years or so. I have been doing a restomod, and the springs have been sitting on the floor of my garage for 2 years now. I swapped to a MWC 9", which, by my calculations would add up to a max of 3/16" additional ride height from the additional axle diameter. I put the springs back in the car, and it sits like a monster truck now. I was left scratching my head. There is no exhaust (35+ lbs), rear anti-roll bar, driveshaft, interior trim panels (<50 lbs.), or fuel in the tank (100+ lbs.). Add to that, I swapped to a plastic 99+ tank, which is definitely lighter. Maybe I just need more weight, as the take-up coils are not fully compressing. I can actually reach my arm up from under the car with the rear axle on the jack, and I can squeeze the springs a fair amount with my hand. So maybe it's weight, maybe it's that the springs need to settle again after sitting for so long? Thoughts?

How long has the OP had them on his car? Maybe they need to settle a bit?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I had Stranos on my car for 3 years or so. I have been doing a restomod, and the springs have been sitting on the floor of my garage for 2 years now. I swapped to a MWC 9", which, by my calculations would add up to a max of 3/16" additional ride height from the additional axle diameter. I put the springs back in the car, and it sits like a monster truck now. I was left scratching my head. There is no exhaust (35+ lbs), rear anti-roll bar, driveshaft, interior trim panels (<50 lbs.), or fuel in the tank (100+ lbs.). Add to that, I swapped to a plastic 99+ tank, which is definitely lighter. Maybe I just need more weight, as the take-up coils are not fully compressing. I can actually reach my arm up from under the car with the rear axle on the jack, and I can squeeze the springs a fair amount with my hand. So maybe it's weight, maybe it's that the springs need to settle again after sitting for so long? Thoughts?

How long has the OP had them on his car? Maybe they need to settle a bit?
The rear sway bar, the driveshaft make no difference as they are unsprung weight, not held up by the springs. You took a LOT of weight out, if you aren't even compressing the take up rate (which is but 100 pounds) that tells you why it's sitting high. And any spring would in that instance, not just mine. And I'm guessing it didn't before, right?

If you guys are going to make any tangible change in weight you have to expect a height change with it.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
I'll take those Strano springs off your hands... Yeah, their horrible.
I have lots in stock... and remember the price is lower than it used to be. Not sure for how long though as the price of materials (steel) is not dropping.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The rear sway bar, the driveshaft make no difference as they are unsprung weight, not held up by the springs. You took a LOT of weight out, if you aren't even compressing the take up rate (which is but 100 pounds) that tells you why it's sitting high. And any spring would in that instance, not just mine. And I'm guessing it didn't before, right?

If you guys are going to make any tangible change in weight you have to expect a height change with it.
Yeah, I never checked the take up coils before, but the ride height was pretty normal, so I never had a reason to. I am in no way blaming your springs, they are awesome. I am just trying to figure out what happened. The gap above the tire to the edge of the fender is now over 4". I am sure that weight has a lot to do with it. The gas tank is bone dry as I don't want any old gas sitting in there. A full tank would add just over 100 lbs. Even the anti-roll bar and driveshaft are partially unsprung and partially sprung, since the endlinks are attached to the chassis, and the slip-yoke is hanging off the transmission (and I had the heavier steel automatic driveshaft--it's a manual now, so going to aluminum soon). I was even considering cutting part of the take up coils off (but leaving on the isolators) IF it never settles with full weight. If I cut them, I think I would do it with the spring mostly in water, so as not to overheat it with the cutoff wheel. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. Here are some pics of the car before, and one after. It's not a perfect example, as one side is a little higher due to the angle of the driveway, so visually, figure on an average of the two sides.

Before

(Driver's side.) Driveway was a little crooked here. The car actually sat lower than this at the back.

(Passenger side.) Driveway was a little crooked here. The car actually sat higher than this at the back.

And here is what it looks like after (it looks like the car is on jack stands, but the full weight is on the axle only, the jack stands are just there for safety and are not touching the chassis):

Ride height after.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Couple things. In an internet world people react, and over-react to lots of things. I.E. someone sees this, skims and freaks out about MY springs. Hence the things I have to say, a lot, which many might find tedious, and trust me, I find it tedious to have to explain simple things time and again because lots lack basic reading comprehension. So I don't think it was an attack, we're good.

Weight. It's BIG, and I run a pretty light rear spring vs. others. 100 pound is the take up rate, 150 is the working. Each corner weights about 725 pounds give or take *stock* and that includes the axle and wheels, brakes, etc that is all unsprung. Take that out, not a lot of weight there to start with. And remember the ratings are in lbs/in. So the take up rate takes 100 pounds to compress one inch, and you have two springs. So let's say you are missing 200 pounds, the car will sit about 1" higher than before, having not changed ANYTHING else if you can't even get compressed through the take up rate statically. Gas is about 8 pounds a gallon or so. 16 gallons to full, and you are dead empty too. Then on top of that, or maybe below that, you have a bigger diameter axle tube, which the spring sits on top of, and that is raising the car as well.

This isn't anything to do with the springs needing to resettle, it's all the fact that mass is missing now.