Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR K-member repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BMR K-member repair

While doing a trans install I had the car slip of a jack falling onto the jack stand I had under the car while raising to the higher level. Luckily it fell on the cross member instead of the oil pan. The K-member is a BMR unit and is on a '94 Firebird still with the LT1 in it. It bent the cross tube about 1/4". I'm undecided about just leaving it alone, cutting it out and replacing with another piece of tubing, or taking it to a frame shop to have it pulled out. The

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Repair (at a frame shop), replace (the tube only), ignore?
Old 05-11-2020, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually about to finally tackle this problem again. Was hoping someone here had some insight. Otherwise I've got another plan. I still have the steel k member and I'm considering using it as a jig to replace the damaged bar.
I can either do this using the car itself as a jig, k-member still bolted to the the car and engine, or I can remove and bolt it to the steel k-member to use as a reference point. Either solution should be viable but doing it on the car actually eliminates a ton of work.

I'm finally reviving this because the engine has fired up in the new chassis so I really need to address this.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have a picture of the damage?

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: BMR K-member repair