Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Recommendations

I am looking to upgrade some of my suspension components, I am looking to buy:
new shocks/struts - Stagg (I know not he best but thats what fits in the budget) - other suggestions welcome
lowering springs - Eibach 1.6"/1.4" drop
Adjustable LCAs
Adjustable Panhard

Recently I have also found a full/complete manual airride system from a firebird for about the same price as all of the above.

What path does everyone recommend?

A little more about the car - 99 Camaro SS, hardtop auto - 18"/19" wheel setup - I dont race/track the car, it is more of a weekend driver as I have a lot of other "toys"

I like the idea of being able to bring the car to local meets and dropping the car with air ride.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Miked5207
new shocks/struts - Stagg (I know not he best but thats what fits in the budget) - other suggestions welcome
Adjustable LCAs
Adjustable Panhard

Recently I have also found a full/complete manual airride system from a firebird for about the same price as all of the above.

A little more about the car - 99 Camaro SS, hardtop auto - 18"/19" wheel setup - I dont race/track the car, it is more of a weekend driver as I have a lot of other "toys"

I like the idea of being able to bring the car to local meets and dropping the car with air ride.

Thoughts/suggestions?
What is the specs on the air ride? Are you saying that it comes with everything you need, including the tanks and wiring for the cost of the above parts? That is really cheap.

As for the above parts, what is your goal, better ride/feel/handling? If so let me make a suggestion.
You have about ~$500-600 in parts above if you are buying new and will end up with a pretty poor setup, with a bumpy ride and possibly sketchy handling (bad shocks + bad springs = bad results). Put that money toward either Bilstien's or Koni STR.T's and then with the money left over decide what you want to spend based off what you want out of the car - even if you end up with less parts the car will perform much better because you have the right parts. Having better shocks will give you a much better foundation to work off of, the car will feel more stable, ride better, react better to steering and all around feel more solid.
If you buy springs look at UMI, Strano, or Hotchkis, you'll notice I left out Eibach, there is a reason for that...
If you decide to get adjustable LCAs do NOT get poly bushings on both ends.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the great feedback!

the manual air ride setup is used that I am being told is
100% complete for conversion. Awaiting pictures of all components.

another question - are LCAs and Panhard a must when lowering the car? If not I would go for Koni STR and lowering springs

As I said I don’t drive the car much (maybe 2k miles in 3yrs) so going for a balance between appearance and streetability
Old 01-16-2019, 02:18 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't say how much difference there is, but maybe save up and get Koni Sports as opposed to the Bilsteins or STR.Ts

I don't drive my car much, but I've got Koni Sports and Strano springs and I love the ride, handling etc. My tires are probably 20 years old, so I'm not exactly pushing it, but it's a lot of fun to drive and the ride is great, imo. I guess it depends on what each person is looking for out of their car.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the great feedback!

the manual air ride setup is used that I am being told is
100% complete for conversion. Awaiting pictures of all components.

That just sounds cheap as new kits can be like $2000+ sometimes. Id be skeptical if its fully working and everything is in good shape.

another question - are LCAs and Panhard a must when lowering the car? If not I would go for Koni STR and lowering springs
Absolutely not, especially LCA's. The PHB will center the rear axle after lowering but you can get away with not doing it sometimes. But since you have 19s in the rear it would probably be a good idea otherwise you might get some tire rubbing.

As I said I don’t drive the car much (maybe 2k miles in 3yrs) so going for a balance between appearance and streetability
If you want the car to ride and feel good then don't cheap out on shocks, that is the foundation to the suspension.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BTC
I can't say how much difference there is, but maybe save up and get Koni Sports as opposed to the Bilsteins or STR.Ts

I don't drive my car much, but I've got Koni Sports and Strano springs and I love the ride, handling etc. My tires are probably 20 years old, so I'm not exactly pushing it, but it's a lot of fun to drive and the ride is great, imo. I guess it depends on what each person is looking for out of their car.
Ill echo this, koni sports are amazing. They are out of your total budget but for what its worth Id rather have koni sports on otherwise stock suspension than spend money on cheap shocks + lowering springs + a few other parts - id put all that money toward the sports. The Koni sports make a massive massive difference.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone!

once the car is out of winter storage I will he update everyone and hopefully post some pics
Old 01-21-2019, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Adjustable LCAs
Adjustable Panhard

Thoughts/suggestions?
If you're doing some cruising to meets and enjoy driving the car on back roads and such, UMI 2061 paired with Koni STR.T or SPORT is a great choice.

We have a resident cruiser car on 2061's that is simply a pleasure to drive and holds its own on the auto-x course a few times per year.

2061 with Koni STR.T

As for air ride, if that's your thing (and obviously it's some folks thing) post it up and we can help you.

ramey
The following users liked this post:
strikeone (01-28-2023)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by UMI Tech
If you're doing some cruising to meets and enjoy driving the car on back roads and such, UMI 2061 paired with Koni STR.T or SPORT is a great choice.

We have a resident cruiser car on 2061's that is simply a pleasure to drive and holds its own on the auto-x course a few times per year.

2061 with Koni STR.T

As for air ride, if that's your thing (and obviously it's some folks thing) post it up and we can help you.

ramey

Thanks! I am leaning towards the Koni STR.T and UMI 2061. Where is the best place to purchase ?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 AM
Banned

Direct from UMI is great of course.

2061STRT kit
Old 01-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Teching In

👍🏼 Any discount codes
Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the bmr lowering springs and Koni STR.T's on my 01 SS and am very happy with the setup. Looks good, rides and drives very well.
I believe the springs from strano, umi, and bmr all offer similar lowering and performance.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Banned

We have our kit priced as low as possible online at the moment...