Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower Control Arm Bushings Affecting Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Bushings Affecting Alignment?

This might be a dumb question, but is there any way to mark the lower control arm before removal so when you put it back on you don't mess up the alignment too much? I know with tie rod ends you can count the threads or just leave the nut in the same place and not mess up alignment too bad. I need to replace the lower control arm bushings, and I know I'm going to need an alignment anyway, but I would like to keep it as close as I can. Car is a 1995 Camaro.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, the k-member is slotted for the front and rear control arm adjustment. Just mark it with a paint pen, or scribe it. I suspect you are replacing the rear bushing. That can be a challenge since the bolt can be rusted to the inner sleeve. I resorted to cutting it out, diablo blades are awesome! If you get it close you won't need to pay for an alignment.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see how it works now. I just didn’t understand that the bolt holes attaching the lower control arms to the k member were more oblong instead of round. After I got under there with some better light, I could see how the holes allow the arm to slide. I marked the positions with some acrylic paint and got to work. I’ve only removed the passenger side arm so far. The bolts weren’t rusted to the bushings at all Now I just hope I can press the old bushings out and new ones in without too many problems. And I really hope the bushings will be easier than the ball joints!