Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Name that ...brake squeak or squeal I have. audio clips provided !

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Name that ...brake squeak or squeal I have. audio clips provided !

This is the noise the squeal I am getting from what seems like the rear passenger side wheel when I hit the brakes after driving the car for about a minute or so. Doesn't do it immediately it takes a little bit of time but no more than a minute or two. The higher pitch means I'm hitting the brakes even after I let off it still makes the noise and as you can hear when I slow down so does the sound it slows with the rotation of the tire. car has new rear axles new rotors new brake pads and a new emergency brake. Mechanic is kind of stumped is thinking it's either the backing plates or a stuck caliper? PLEASE help me.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
brakes 3.mp3 (562.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by hurley711; 04-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another clip
Attached Files
brakes 2.mp3 (306.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And another. I hope the audio link works.
Attached Files
brakes 1.mp3 (229.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard similar before. In the past it has either been either a sticky caliper, or some inconsistency in the pad material or rotor that scrapes on rotation. I would put it on a lift (or jack stands) and see if you can get the sound by spinning by hand, you may be able to feel some resistance when the sound is made to help identify the source. I would do this starting with the wheel on still to rule that out as a cause.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMD Power
I have heard similar before. In the past it has either been either a sticky caliper, or some inconsistency in the pad material or rotor that scrapes on rotation. I would put it on a lift (or jack stands) and see if you can get the sound by spinning by hand, you may be able to feel some resistance when the sound is made to help identify the source. I would do this starting with the wheel on still to rule that out as a cause.
Thanks! So we did that before it was up on the lift and hand spinning the wheel caused the noise. At that time he lubed the old E brake horseshoe shaped piece in 3 spots which alleviated the noise for a few weeks. After it came back he replaced the piece and here we are again noise came back! He's worried about a sticky caliper sticking after the first time I use the brakes after start up.

I also have a secondary guess from an old buddy who's a mechanic but a good distance away who listened to the clip and said it sounds like a backing plate. Anyone else? I'm open to all suggestions and guesses.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would take apart the brakes and lube everything real good. caliper slides, pad ears, back of pads, caliper piston cup. make sure the pads move freely in the caliper bracket and the clips are snapped in correctly. also make sure the rotor is not warped and the wheel bearing has no play.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NewEnglandFormula
I would take apart the brakes and lube everything real good. caliper slides, pad ears, back of pads, caliper piston cup. make sure the pads move freely in the caliper bracket and the clips are snapped in correctly. also make sure the rotor is not warped and the wheel bearing has no play.
Thank you!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So. Temps at night when I leave for work have dropped lately down into the 50s. Didn't squeal much during the winter months. This past week? Nothing. Only other thing different was I sprayed the house all throughout the wheels brakes etc hoping maybe it was some loose dirt or something lodged in there. A good hosing and cooler temps and it is silent again. Can't wait to see if it comes back when hot..
Old 01-28-2020, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ended up being bad rear rotors. Warped!