Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why red???

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why red???

Ok...I guess I've been dying to ask this question for a while now, but since I'm now into my project build, I might as well ask it because it becomes kind of pertinent. LOL

Why does it seem like all of the aftermarket suspension parts come in red powdercoat?

Is it just a "showing off" thing or am I actually missing something? All suspension parts I look for (K-frame, rear lower control arms, both panhard bars, torque arm, etc.) all seem to "default" coming in red powdercoat. Any reason why? Oh and the same seems to go with the brake calipers too. Everyone seems to spray them hi-temp red.

It seems like almost everyone is putting the red versions on their cars. I don't know if it is a status thing or what. LOL Or just easier to show off what parts have been replaced with better, aftermarket ones?

I'm mainly torn because, in the end, my car is going to be sprayed Bright Purple Metallic (97-98 GM color) and I'm not sure a bunch of red suspension parts would make sense or look good. So, that is why I'm considering all black suspension parts. Then again...is anyone really going to be crawling around on the ground to see what I have replaced? LOL

It's more of a curiosity question than anything, but I thought I'd ask. Depending on the outcome of this thread I might be taking back my satin black VHT caliper paint to trade in for a can of red. LOL!
Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Red powder is cheap, and urethane bushings are usually red or black.
Old 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I have never personally cared for it, but you can just order any of those parts in black. All of my UMI stuff is black. BMR offers the same. It IS a way to show off that you've spent a ton of money on your car, but my car is white, and a bright red torque arm and brace sticking down look ugly in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That is why we also offer hammer tone.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-24-2019, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hammertone and black are also cheap.

But realistically, if you were a suspension parts manufacturer and you ran a poll of customers color preferences, you'd probably find black and red at the top.

White gets dirty easily. Silver blends in with aluminum parts. Grey is meh (kinda like hammertone IMO, sorry, BMR!), yellow shows dirt, orange... what color cars does orange look good on? Red = universal speed part color. Green is used by a couple suppliers, right? Blue would probably be a 3rd or 4th highest, but your car has to be neutrally colored and blue isn't necessarily a speed part. Purple would make a couple people happy, and no one else would buy it.

I don't like it, but red and black make sense. I always buy black or bare and powder it myself.
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Cool. I figured that was the case but thought I'd ask. Like I mentioned, my car will eventually be painted purple, so to me the red would look odd. If anything gold or yellow would go with the purple but I also don't want people thinking I did it as a Laker fan or something. LOL! (I'm not a basketball fan at all, nothing against the Lakers)

So I will probably just stick with the black and go from there. Might not be as fancy, but it will still get the job done.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
I don't like it, but red and black make sense. I always buy black or bare and powder it myself.
How difficult is it to powdercoat your own stuff? Do you need specialized equipment? Do you need to strip the part down to bare metal first? Just curious. Would be nice to powdercoat some of my own stuff.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Red powder is cheap, and urethane bushings are usually red or black.
Unless it's changed red tints cost more than just about any other color. I think it's more of a look at me thing. Parts makers want their products to be a visible as possible. Contrasting colors can add to a build as long as it's not over done.
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_Demon
How difficult is it to powdercoat your own stuff? Do you need specialized equipment? Do you need to strip the part down to bare metal first? Just curious. Would be nice to powdercoat some of my own stuff.
You can prep it like you would paint and can powder over other finishes but I would test a small piece before doing a bunch. You can buy a cheap kit from Eastwood and other to apply the powder and use a regular oven to cure it. There are lots of DIY plans for larger ovens if needed and once you get started you'll want a larger oven.
Eastwood Kits.

You'll also want to purchase high temp tape and plugs to keep powder out of places you don't want it like threaded holes/mounting surfaces and o on.
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Unless it's changed red tints cost more than just about any other color. I think it's more of a look at me thing. Parts makers want their products to be a visible as possible. Contrasting colors can add to a build as long as it's not over done.
I meant mirror red is cheap compared to, say, red chrome or a translucent red, red metal flake, etc. I guess I could have said single stage high gloss red powder coat is cheap. Buy in 100lb bulk, fill a hopper, done.

It's not all that specialized, but you have to have a dedicated oven and invest in some equipment/powders. Can't use your kitchen oven unless you have a spare and move one out to the garage. We bought one on CL, also have two toaster ovens for small parts and a 9'x4'x3.5' oven for bumpers, trim, wheels, etc. And then you have to worry about handling the mess (powder everywhere), prep (blasting, chemical stripping, wire wheeling, etc) and air supply (regulator, water filters, etc). But that dual voltage Eastwood gun is the best bang for the buck gun out there for a hobbyist. I'd suggest starting with the eastwood gun, some basic powders from powderbuythepound.com, a cheap toaster oven and a small air compressor with an easily adjustable regulator.
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

We also sell parts uncoated if you want to do that.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Z28_Demon (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
That is why we also offer hammer tone.

Thanks for the info, Glenn. Much appreciated. I guess either hammertone or black would work.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
You can prep it like you would paint and can powder over other finishes but I would test a small piece before doing a bunch. You can buy a cheap kit from Eastwood and other to apply the powder and use a regular oven to cure it. There are lots of DIY plans for larger ovens if needed and once you get started you'll want a larger oven.
Eastwood Kits.

You'll also want to purchase high temp tape and plugs to keep powder out of places you don't want it like threaded holes/mounting surfaces and o on.
Losingit - Thanks a bunch for the info. I can already see my butt getting kicked by my wife for putting car parts in the oven to cure. LMAO!!! I best find a deal on a used electric oven I can put in the brick shed to cook these parts. LOL!
Old 06-25-2019, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

It's not all that specialized, but you have to have a dedicated oven and invest in some equipment/powders. Can't use your kitchen oven unless you have a spare and move one out to the garage. We bought one on CL, also have two toaster ovens for small parts and a 9'x4'x3.5' oven for bumpers, trim, wheels, etc. And then you have to worry about handling the mess (powder everywhere), prep (blasting, chemical stripping, wire wheeling, etc) and air supply (regulator, water filters, etc). But that dual voltage Eastwood gun is the best bang for the buck gun out there for a hobbyist. I'd suggest starting with the eastwood gun, some basic powders from powderbuythepound.com, a cheap toaster oven and a small air compressor with an easily adjustable regulator.
I appreciate the heads up and info. I do have a decent air compressor. I considered getting the Eastman Concours paint gun set at one point because it is supposed to work with my compressor, but I just never pulled the trigger on it...not yet. However, maybe I'll consider the powdercoat gun instead. I might get a bit more use out of that. I'll have to check the link out and see.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Black for style,
Bright primary colors for safety (Seeing cracks) I personally won't use powder coated suspension parts,,
Powder coating hides/conceals too many evils. (Its illegal in most road racing) for stressed parts.
I try to buy all suspension and springs in the raw then if its for a track only car they get shot with cat yellow
(The shade is specifically intended to show cracks) or light battleship powder gray.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Back when I bought mine in 08 I bought all UMI stuff in red. Torque arm, 3 pts & trailing arms. The MWC 9 inch I got black didn't want too much red & I believe it was cheaper option. Just got the MWC drag bar in red. I have a black SS & the SS emblems have red in them so it all matches. I've seen silver cars w silver parts underneath too! Just what your preference is I guess!
Z28_Demon (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

flintwrench - Totally makes sense. If I was leaving it black, I probably would get the red parts as I think it looks good as a secondary color on the black car (like the SS badges and such you mentioned). But with a purple car, ya, it will look a bit weird. LOL! Like I said, I don't exactly expect people to be looking under my car all the time at the suspension, but that doesn't mean you won't see it at all.

I'll either get powder coating equipment and powder coat it another color (yellow or gold usually goes with purple) or just buy it in black and be done with it. I actually need to remove my rear axle, clean it up and repaint it anyway and I'll do that with satin or flat black. I just don't know if I feel like bleeding the brake lines and all that jazz when I remove the rear end, soooooo...LOL

But it does look like black or red are the preferred colors.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

there is also the option to pay someone to powdercoat the parts as well. as cool as it would be to do it yourself, for me it wouldn't be worth the mess, cleanup and hassle of doing it on my own so I'd much rather just take them to someone who does it for a living. i do the majority of the work on my vehicles myself and rarely outsource, but powdercoating would be one of the things I'd let someone else deal with. just my .02

i think yellow suspension on a purple car would look sweet as well
Old 06-27-2019, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
there is also the option to pay someone to powdercoat the parts as well. as cool as it would be to do it yourself, for me it wouldn't be worth the mess, cleanup and hassle of doing it on my own so I'd much rather just take them to someone who does it for a living. i do the majority of the work on my vehicles myself and rarely outsource, but powdercoating would be one of the things I'd let someone else deal with. just my .02

i think yellow suspension on a purple car would look sweet as well
Hoke, that’s what kids are for...clean up. LMAO!!! Seriously though, I can understand your point. Only certain things I outsource, but I also like to learn new things too. If it ends up not being for me, then at least I tried it.

I’m seriously considering coating (if I get the equipment) the stuff gold or a deeper yellow. I’d have to take the really long pieces to some place to be done.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We offer red and gloss black and can also do bare. If bare is needed, it's better to order early since many of our sub assemblies are powder coated as part of the process.

ramey
Z28_Demon (07-01-2019)