Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball joints replacement and shocks 99 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ball joints replacement and shocks 99 camaro

I have a squeak in the front end on uneven surfaces. I took it to the alignment shop and they can’t figure it out. Said no play really in ball joints even though they do have 175000 miles on them. And shocks also. I had outside edge of old tire drivers side worn completely down and inside edge of pass side worn down all the way. Toe is right on. Shop says could be ball joints but unsure. I am wondering if I let him do ball joints should I go ahead and do shocks as well. Does the control arm have to come off to do either? What would be the reason to change to new control arms too?
Old 06-26-2019, 04:11 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The control arm bushings on these cars are so old, that any squeak problem could be due to those. The bushings can be changed, but the labor is often more than just replacing the whole arm.

At this point, I would replace the arm if you are having a shop do the work just to make sure the squeak is gone or that you won't get a control arm busing squeak developing two months after new shocks go on.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As stated youre better off just buying new arms. I went to change out my bushings and ball joints and its more trouble than its worth since they sell complete arms. I ended up just buying new ones.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
I have a squeak in the front end on uneven surfaces. I took it to the alignment shop and they can’t figure it out. Said no play really in ball joints even though they do have 175000 miles on them. And shocks also. I had outside edge of old tire drivers side worn completely down and inside edge of pass side worn down all the way. Toe is right on. Shop says could be ball joints but unsure. I am wondering if I let him do ball joints should I go ahead and do shocks as well. Does the control arm have to come off to do either? What would be the reason to change to new control arms too?

With that mileage the car would need shocks, and I would do control arm bushings with the ball joints or whole control arms. You don't have to remove the control arms to replace the ball joints.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Front end alignment shops says there is no play in any of my ball joints and or bushings and tried everything to make the squeak you here when you drive it. He says the camber and toe was good also it doesn’t pull since I got the new tires put on. If I do the front shock and springs would I need a realignment? Do most people do both I assume not just shocks.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anytime you open up the suspension I would get an alignment especially since you got new tires. Have you tried greasing your swaybars? Sometimes when the bushings bind because theyre dry they make a squeaking noise especially at slow speed going over uneven surfaces.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of grease should I use? Shop told me today the camber and toe are correct so I hate to have to take it somewhere else and pay more.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Did the shop pump grease into the ball joints? they can squeak if they get some moisture in them and surface rust inside from lack of grease.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A front end squeak on uneven surfaces ? My first suspects would be the sway bar bushings, the ones that locate not the ones on the ends with the links.
Lay on your back and reach in to feel/touch the sway bar while someone is working the front suspension up & down. If you feel a vibration/non smooth movement in the area of those bushings, they need lube. I always find my squeaks doing that.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
Front end alignment shops says there is no play in any of my ball joints and or bushings and tried everything to make the squeak you here when you drive it. He says the camber and toe was good also it doesn’t pull since I got the new tires put on. If I do the front shock and springs would I need a realignment? Do most people do both I assume not just shocks.
Most places will do a free alignment check. I would say replacing shocks and springs at that mileage it will more than likely be out of spec afterwards.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-30-2019, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the sway bar bushings from gm have grease fittings?
Old 06-30-2019, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

I have never seen a 4th gen f-bod with OEM greaseable sway bars bushings. The U-bracket would have to be tapped for a grease fitting and the bushing(s) themselves would have to have porting to allow the grease to go from the fitting to the inner surface of the bushing that contacts the sway bar.
If you're gonna remove / clean / lubricate them, only do one at a time. If you're gonna replace them with aftermarket greaseable ones, still only do one at a time.
Be sure to measure the bar diameter to get the properly sized bushings. Bushing sets are marked mm-metric and some marked SAE-inch. The sway bars are classified as mms'. The front should be in the 30-35mm range.