Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Vogtland up front and Prokit in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vogtland up front and Prokit in rear?

When I bought my car it came with Vogtland springs. Car looks great, but the rear rides way too harsh/stiff for my tastes. I happen to have rear Prokit springs from a car I parted out. Would it help the ride to swap the rear Vogtlands for the rear Prokit?

If mixing springs isnt recommended I'll live with the Vogtland ride. I'm mainly trying to work with what I have and get a little smoother ride instead of spending more money on the car.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Prokit will probably ride better due to lower spring rate, assuming the prokit springs are not sagging. What shocks are you running?
Old 07-20-2019, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

I've got the SLP Bilsteins
Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

my car came with vogtlands.........could not get them in the trash fast enuff.........my .02
Old 07-20-2019, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

I'm kind of in the same boat, but don't mind the front. But the rears are just crazy stiff, even mild bumps are jarring. I'll try the prokit rears and see if that help. Looks like they have the same advertised drop so hopefully the rake will be close to neutral.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

This is why I don't run higher rate rear springs than I do. If you have the Pro kit in hand, try it, why not. Easy to change and might get you to a happier place. Ultimately a better designed kit with springs that pair up right front and rear might work better.

I got this shown below note on the 22nd (name of the other spring removed to cause from causing a stir). Design and knowledge of this stuff matters. The springs he refers to below are a kit, and much like the springs the OP in this thread doesn't like, the man below wasn't impressed with the kit he bought prior to mine. Just becaue something comes in a box with claims doens't make it the best choice. And here, I have little doubt that cobbling something together will work somewhat better. But I bet we could do better again, if wanted.

" Mr Strano,

I'm sure you get a million emails a day. I emailed you about 3 weeks ago about putting ___ lowering springs on my trans am and how it lowered the car too much and made for a horrible ride. I appreciated that you responded to my email and helping with questions I had.

I ordered your springs after emailing with you. I recieved them very quickly and installed them even quicker. You Mr. Strano are a genius! Your springs took care of the issue I had and they ride 100% better than those ___ springs. And I've seen where people have complained about the color. I think the white adds class. Thank you for making a excellent product and taking the time to help me out."
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Cobbled together is exactly what the suspension on this car is. When I bought it it had KYB rear shocks, one decarbon front, one monroe front, no front sway bar, UMI drag bar, Vogtlands, and a short tunnel mount TA. Didn't handle or ride very well. Now it has bilstiens, stock sways, vogtlands, with the rear prokit.

The prokit raised the rear about .25" but made the ride much better. I've had Konis Yellows, Bilstein, AGX, on Brm springs, prokits, sportlines, etc. A better shock and spring set would ride better but this is livable for now. And only cost about 20 min of my time. I have $0 budget for the car so free and fun work for me. This car will never see any type of track, just purely for my enjoyment on the street.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

What kind of drag bar was on your car, did you keep it when you removed it or get rid of it?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by biketopia
What kind of drag bar was on your car, did you keep it when you removed it or get rid of it?
At first I thought it was a UMI bar, but now that I have it off the car it's the BMR Xtreme Antiroll Bar. I still have it, its sitting in my garage right now. I put stock bars back on the car.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
At first I thought it was a UMI bar, but now that I have it off the car it's the BMR Xtreme Antiroll Bar. I still have it, its sitting in my garage right now. I put stock bars back on the car.
possibly Interested in getting rid of it and clearing up some garage space?
Old 07-29-2019, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by biketopia
possibly Interested in getting rid of it and clearing up some garage space?
Yea, I probably wont use it on anything I have. I'll send you a PM.