Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Pedal Feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pedal Feel

Seem to be having an issue with the brake pedal. Almost the entire brake system has been replaced, booster master and abs block. No codes and bled the lines several times. But man do you really have to push the pedal down to stop. What do y'all think?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

If the hydraulic feel is normal, typically this sort of thing would happen when the calipers bind up. (Pins aren't lubricated, etc.)

Can you post all the parts you installed? Are you sure you have the right parts on the car? Did you check for any physical obstructions?
Old 11-21-2019, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

The guy that built this car knows what he is doing so I would assume all the right parts were installed. I'll get back to ya on exactly all that he replaced. Thanks for replying back.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Why were "all" the parts replaced? Were they replaced with stock (OEM) pieces or aftermarket? Is your system custom in -any- way?
Old 11-21-2019, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well he noticed the brakes felt bad and he was having issues with abs block (throwing codes), but replaced with oem. Only thing he did not replace was brake lines. My gm tech said he thinks that is probably the issue. I just purchased stainless steel brake lines and hopefully this will fix the issue. Brake system is stock except for slotted rotors.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was having a similar problem with my '98 that has a little over 200K miles on it with 4-channel/traction control. I still have the issue, so I am chiming in more to see what you find. The car wasn't always like this, but gradually the brakes got weaker over time, despite new pads and rotors and even calipers. My car was an automatic, and it was starting to get to the point that if you didn't pay attention to keeping a firm foot on the brake pedal at an intersection, it would start creeping forward, as automatics do when you take your foot off the brake. Now, I say WAS an automatic, because I just completed an LS3 build and I converted it to a manual. The brakes work, where the car does not feel dangerous, but I upgraded to 14" 6-piston Wilwood fronts, and it should stop much more readily than it does. It still takes a firm foot on the pedal when you want haul it down from speed in a hurry.

I replaced the brake booster and front calipers (2 piston OEM) when it was still an auto, and that did not change much (calipers were definitely shot though). As part of the recent engine swap, I replaced the relatively new booster with another reman (no one sells them new) and put in a brand new master cylinder. The only thing left to try, is to bleed the ABS block, as that was open while the engine and subframe were out of the car (the front 2 brake lines are attached to the subframe). This takes a GM scan tool to cycle the ABS solenoids though, so I need to take to a shop that has this. I feel like a little bit of the air may have worked its way out, since braking feels a little better than when I first drove it after the swap, but that could just be me getting used to the heavy pedal.

One thing I did notice when I unscrewed the brake lines from the ABS block, is that the old brake fluid around the fittings appears to have dried almost like sap. I worry that if this "sap" is in the ABS block or in the brake lines, this may be restricting flow, and would require even more hardware to be replaced.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
Seem to be having an issue with the brake pedal. Almost the entire brake system has been replaced, booster master and abs block. No codes and bled the lines several times. But man do you really have to push the pedal down to stop. What do y'all think?
Does it have excessive travel or does it feel like the pedal is only going down a little bit when you push on the pedal? Is the car cammed or running stock. A few things to look at that were not mentioned. Check vacuum, Brakes need a strong vacuum to work so a non stock cam or a vacuum leak or engine problems can cause low vacuum and low brake performance. Make sure you have the correct brake fluid DOT 5 although compatible can be a problem in older systems.
If you have more pedal travel then normal and poor brake performance don't overlook the front wheel bearings (Hub), Extra bearing play can cause the brake pads to be pushed back further than normal leading to a lower pedal and also poor braking.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Please elaborate.

Stiff pedal? Soft pedal? Not enough initial bite? Fading too soon? Not holding at stop? Not holding on incline? All of the above?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, steel lines over rubber increases pedal feedback for stiffer pedal.
ABS block needs to be flushed and bled with GM Tech 2 tool to activate all the solenoids while bleeding from the calipers and refilling the reservoir.
Soft pedal could be cracked vacuum line running from the intake to booster. Big cams and vacuum leaks could have the same effect. Something to see manifold vacuum might help diagnose.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I'm going to try and answer, elaborate, on issue. Cam was just installed but someone that has swapped cams numerous times. 227/233 tsp cam and 1 7/8 headers. It's a soft pedal, travels quite a bit before stopping and its holding. When I cut the car off and when restarting the car, I go to press the brake, it is down with basically no play in the pedal.
Hope that answers all the questions. My guy that did the work said he used dot 3 fluid.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I replaced the brake booster and front calipers (2 piston OEM) when it was still an auto, and that did not change much (calipers were definitely shot though).
I'll bet your problem is bad slider pins and bushings in the caliper brackets. If you didn't change the caliper brackets (so you can get new bushings in there to replace the originals that MUST be flat-spotted by now at 200K miles), then it's definitely time.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'll bet your problem is bad slider pins and bushings in the caliper brackets. If you didn't change the caliper brackets (so you can get new bushings in there to replace the originals that MUST be flat-spotted by now at 200K miles), then it's definitely time.
Except that after that, I swapped to fixed 6-piston front calipers, so there aren't any slider pins. The rears could possibly have issues, but they got lubed pretty regularly, so they don't look bad. When I get home at night and I've been pushing it a little, the rear brakes are actually kicking out more heat than the fronts. This tells me that there is some kind of blockage or air in the front lines, or that Wilwood was not accurate in their claim that the brakes are sized to work with the factory master cylinder. I also forgot to note that I swapped all rubber lines front and rear for braided steel.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by eb110americana
or that Wilwood was not accurate in their claim that the brakes are sized to work with the factory master cylinder
I think this is a really interesting point. You can figure this out easily by yourself.

If the total surface area of the aftermarket pistons is greater than the total surface area of the stock pistons in the calipers, then braking force at the pedal will definitely go up!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

The guy that built this car knows what he is doing so I would assume all the right parts were installed. I'll get back to ya on exactly all that he replaced.
If this person knows what they are doing, then why do you have a problem and why are you posting here about it? Do you have some liability for the job (ie: did you pick out parts or go against some recommendations?) Or are you looking to be helpful to your mechanic's process or make sure you aren't taken for a ride on extra charges? (This info will probably help us respond more constructively.)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If this person knows what they are doing, then why do you have a problem and why are you posting here about it? Do you have some liability for the job (ie: did you pick out parts or go against some recommendations?) Or are you looking to be helpful to your mechanic's process or make sure you aren't taken for a ride on extra charges? (This info will probably help us respond more constructively.)
The guy that did the work on the car (replaced cam/springs and all supporting mods, headers, suspension parts, etc) is a reputable mechanic. I did not pick out parts or go against recommendations. This problem gave him a fit and fixed this to the best of his knowledge. Still not like I want it so I thought I'd reach out to the ls1tech community. This car was built for me in Texas and shipped to me in NC so being taken for a ride on extra charges is kind of out of the equation. Just trying to pinpoint the issue. Hope this helps.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Just trying to pinpoint the issue.
OK. We have a reputable mechanic who can't figure it out. I expect that if he fixes the problem for free, he'll stay reputable?

At the point you are replacing everything and making a big investment in the car, it's probably not a bad idea to replace the lines. (I don't think that's the problem, though.) Making sure the ABS module is properly bled is also a good idea.

Have you tried jacking a corner of the car up, taking a wheel off, and watching one of the front calipers actuate while someone applies the brakes? If you have a bind or a mechanical problem, you may see odd things like this.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good chance there is air in the lines. It can be difficult to get out after replacing parts. Best way is to bleed all the way around, drive it and mash pedal hard to activate and, on gravel or dirt if possible, several times. Hi back and bleed again, and repeat a couple times.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Good chance there is air in the lines. It can be difficult to get out after replacing parts. Best way is to bleed all the way around, drive it and mash pedal hard to activate and, on gravel or dirt if possible, several times. Hi back and bleed again, and repeat a couple times.
That works but it's so much easier to buy/borrow a scanner and do it right the first time.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I did anything else I'd get it bled with a scanner that can cycle the ABS. I've bled brakes many times without cycling the ABS and had no issue, but never with a brand new valve body.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I think this is a really interesting point. You can figure this out easily by yourself.

If the total surface area of the aftermarket pistons is greater than the total surface area of the stock pistons in the calipers, then braking force at the pedal will definitely go up!
Yes, this is the principle to which I was referring. Although, I believe that in comparing sliding caliper brakes and fixed, you need to multiply the surface area of the stock sliding caliper pistons x2. The reason being, is the fixed caliper will only move the piston side, but the floating caliper will move the piston, and it will move the cylinder itself, sliding the entire caliper in the opposite direction to engage the opposing pad on the outside of the rotor. Think of it has having a piston at both ends of the cylinder. If both move by the same amount, they will move half as far, so you must multiply by 2. This means I will be adding 4 total versus 6, which has a little better chance of coming up close. I can easily find the diameters of the Wilwood pistons, but I have no idea what the stock ones are. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Feel