Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question on how good shocks and struts still are.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Question on how good shocks and struts still are.

My z28 sat since 2009 pretty much on tires that dry rotted and went flat. The Bilstein shocks and struts I installed brand new from SLP back in 2004 maybe only have 1,000 miles if even close to that. Car is on jack stands and pulling off the suspension and painting it since factory paint is coming off. Budget build so just adding stock rubber bushings back and maybe upgrade a suspension part here or there. Anywho would my struts and shocks still be good? Didn’t think to try before I put on jack stands and tore apart the car. I don’t see any rust or pitting on the pistons.

Im going to replace the bushing in all four since I’m there. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should be fine. I suppose it's possible that the internal seals could have dried out, but I'm not an expert on if that's a problem with these type shocks or not.
Usually the seals wear out from use and then allow the fluid and gas charge to leak out.

When you have them off you could try cycling them several times by hand. If they offer resistance then I'd say don't worry.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:08 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I didn’t force them to much but they seem still very tight aka full of pressure so yea maybe they are good still.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SCLT1
My z28 sat since 2009 pretty much on tires that dry rotted and went flat. The Bilstein shocks and struts I installed brand new from SLP back in 2004 maybe only have 1,000 miles if even close to that. Car is on jack stands and pulling off the suspension and painting it since factory paint is coming off. Budget build so just adding stock rubber bushings back and maybe upgrade a suspension part here or there. Anywho would my struts and shocks still be good? Didn’t think to try before I put on jack stands and tore apart the car. I don’t see any rust or pitting on the pistons.

Im going to replace the bushing in all four since I’m there. Thanks for any help.

According to Monroe they life span of a strut/shock is 50,000 mikes. As long as none of the top seals are leaking you should be fine.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Yes everything is spotless I’m probably going to replace the bushings since I already have them sitting around anyhow thank you.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

A couple questions. It’s been years since I installed this kit and when I removed the rear shocks I noticed the top body mount bushing under the car were different types left to right? One bushing had a metal rod sleeve in the bushing and other bushing had a washer type sleeve made inside it. Is this correct or was I sent the wrong hardware years ago?

Now I’m going to replace all the bushings on all the shocks. Does it really make a difference if I order new Bilstein bushings or get something from Advanced?

Next- how do I remove the bottom bolt that is pressed into the bottom of the rear shock so I can remove that bushing? This is for a 1994 z28 if that matters.

Quick Reply: Question on how good shocks and struts still are.