Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

From drag to corner carving

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default From drag to corner carving

So my car has weld drag ligjts and slinmies.in front..gonna replace wheels in spring...eventually do konis.....now my questions is....I have a spohn drag rear sway bar out back...can I add a front tubular one to balance it out or do I have to buy a matching pair
Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the specs for the bar you have in the rear? As you attempt to determine what you have and how that would match up with what's available in the aftermarket, here's a breakdown from Strano's website on the stock front/rear bars compared to his:

Front bar comparison:
GM 30mm: Approximately 243 lbs/in
GM 32mm: Approximately 351 lbs/in
Strano 35mm hollow: Approximately 487 lbs/in

Rear bar comparison:
GM 19mm: Approximately 128 lbs/in
GM 21mm: Approximately 189 lbs/in
Strano Performance 22mm hollow: Approximately 228 lbs/in

For what it's worth, I ended up going with Strano's matched pair of hollow bars with the adjustable rear and I absolutely love them. Most will tell you to run a square wheel setup on all four, however I have a few sets of wheels I run. One of which is a set of staggered OEM C5 Z06 Speedlines, so it's nice to have the flexibility to make adjustments to the rear.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Do you have the specs for the bar you have in the rear? As you attempt to determine what you have and how that would match up with what's available in the aftermarket, here's a breakdown from Strano's website on the stock front/rear bars compared to his:

Front bar comparison:
GM 30mm: Approximately 243 lbs/in
GM 32mm: Approximately 351 lbs/in
Strano 35mm hollow: Approximately 487 lbs/in

Rear bar comparison:
GM 19mm: Approximately 128 lbs/in
GM 21mm: Approximately 189 lbs/in
Strano Performance 22mm hollow: Approximately 228 lbs/in

For what it's worth, I ended up going with Strano's matched pair of hollow bars with the adjustable rear and I absolutely love them. Most will tell you to run a square wheel setup on all four, however I have a few sets of wheels I run. One of which is a set of staggered OEM C5 Z06 Speedlines, so it's nice to have the flexibility to make adjustments to the rear.
  1. not sure what the size is...installed it like 8 years ago....might just go with stranos.matching pair....just thought it he easier if I could just get a front one to offset it
Old 01-06-2020, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any other opinions on what front sway bar I can put to off set the Rea drag bar to make it more for carving....or can I leave it and add good shocks
Old 01-06-2020, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Without knowing the size of your rear bar or your spring rates hard to say. You have to take the car to it's limit to know where it needs help. I would just buy a 35mm hollow bar.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
Without knowing the size of your rear bar or your spring rates hard to say. You have to take the car to it's limit to know where it needs help. I would just buy a 35mm hollow bar.
it's stock shocks and springs...so you think a front 35mm hollow will help
Old 01-07-2020, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

OK so found out on YouTube that the spohm rear anti roll drag bar is 1inch 5/16 in diameter..so Def won't flex but was wondering what size for front to best compliment this should I make turns
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

IMO you should pull that rear spohn drag bar out and sell it and use that money towards a set of strano bars, and get a set shocks/springs to compliment the new bars, like the koni's you mention in the OP.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
IMO you should pull that rear spohn drag bar out and sell it and use that money towards a set of strano bars, and get a set shocks/springs to compliment the new bars, like the koni's you mention in the OP.
might do that if I can't find a front bar that work
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeplaya05
I would agree. You can't really compliment that bar.... you would need a front bar larger than is available. A 35mm front alone will help (it won't hurt) and might be pretty good with that rear bar and stock alignment and suspension, but it could still oversteer at the static cornering limit (which it should do now). It depends on how all in you want to go, or you are just looking to head improvements in the right direction.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by john563
might do that if I can't find a front bar that work
there aren't any front sway bars available for these cars that will be big enough to compliment that size rear bar, the 35mm strano bar is a fraction of an inch bigger and you will end up with sporadic over steer because of that. you'll be best to cut your losses and sell that spohn bar and start over with new ones that compliment each other correctly

pretty much what pewterSS said above lol
Old 01-07-2020, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

That rear bar you have is way too big, you'll be all over the place in dangerous ways. Go with a stock 19 to start, then maybe move up to a 22 after you've learned how the handling is and feel it's not loose enough for you.

Quick Reply: From drag to corner carving