Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowered And hooking hard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Lowered And hooking hard?

How many of you lowered guys are still hooking hard? I'm concerned about instant center under the car and while I have many adjustable components I'm still very new to tuning the suspension to work and that's just me being completely honest. I'm yet to get good shocks for the rear but they're on my list and I'm going to use a good coilover conversion. Whatever MWC recommends... I've pretty much been leaning on those guys to help me pick out what's best for my setup.
While I know there are a ton of very quick lowered F bodies out there could some of you guys shed a bit of light on how you have your suspension set up? When I bought my MWC 9" we decided that it may be best to use the long torque arm under the car because it's 6 speed, right now I'm in the upper bolt of the front mount, I'll have to massage the exhaust a bit to get into the lower setting, rear control arms do angle up towards the body of the car some but I'm on the very bottom setting of the control arm mounts on the rear to get it to do that. I guess since I'm just trying to figure this out I'm concerned with how drastic do some of the angles need to be or am I just worried over nothing? Currently the car is just sitting on it's factory springs in the rear with heater hose mod and probably a whole coil cut out. On a 27" QTP the tire is about dead even with the lip on the quarter panel as far as height just for a mental visual.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Do you have relocation brackets on the LCA's? Really needed on a lowered car. LCA's angling upwards isn't going to cut it.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a MWC Fab 9, yes, it's got extended LCA brackets on it right from MWC, They have 4 adjustment holes.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
It's a MWC Fab 9, yes, it's got extended LCA brackets on it right from MWC, They have 4 adjustment holes.
Use the hole that makes the control arm closest to level, go slightly pointing down in the rear is preferred if needed.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Use the hole that makes the control arm closest to level, go slightly pointing down in the rear is preferred if needed.
he said he’s on the bottom hole already and it’s still going up towards the rear end. I’d call mwc and see what they say about that since it’s their rear
Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
rear control arms do angle up towards the body of the car some but I'm on the very bottom setting of the control arm mounts on the rear to get it to do that.
I interpret this as the control arms are lower at the rear end and "angle up towards the body of the car "so higher at the body mounting point.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
he said he’s on the bottom hole already and it’s still going up towards the rear end. I’d call mwc and see what they say about that since it’s their rear
No, no, no, no, lol... I'm going in the right direction, lol! The lower control arm is lower on the rearend side than the body side, it angles up towards the body. I'm on the bottom hole of the differential bracket but atleast I do have some angle in the correct direction. I'm just honestly kinda unsure of how drastic an angle I may need because honestly I don't have much more adjustment.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlangley
I interpret this as the control arms are lower at the rear end and "angle up towards the body of the car "so higher at the body mounting point.
You are correct sir. I'll take some pics when I can. All I have now is just a size shot but I don't think it'll show anything.

More or less you get the idea of ride height though.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Lowering the rear LCA will increase anti squat. Raising it will lower anti squat.

lowering the car lowers the front mount close to the ground causing a reduction in AS

what you “need” really depends on the tire your running, the surface, and what the car is telling you it needs. Record the drivers rear of the car at the track and watch what it does. Most your tuning will end up in the adjustable shocks and front travel. Adjustable shocks are basically a must have
Old 01-13-2020, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

A drag radial wants to be planted hard and kept planted. So you want anti squat. You’ll see the rim and the fender well separate on launch as the suspension pushes the tire into the surface.

a bias ply is the opposite. They like to slip. They like wheel speed. They don’t like to “dead hook”. You want a lot less anti squat with bias ply slicks. When you launch the rim and wheel well lip will stay the same distance apart or even squat a little.

and shock settings will be different between the two. Since a car setup for a drag radial wants separation, your rebound will be use to control the planting of the tires (usually a bit lose) and you’ll use compression to keep it planted (tighter). A slick is kind of the opposite of that (sorta).

oh.. and slicks stick better than drag radials on the street.

Last edited by Dragframe; 01-13-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragframe
A drag radial wants to be planted hard and kept planted. So you want anti squat. You’ll see the rim and the fender well separate on launch as the suspension pushes the tire into the surface.

a bias ply is the opposite. They like to slip. They like wheel speed. They don’t like to “dead hook”. You want a lot less anti squat with bias ply slicks. When you launch the rim and wheel well lip will stay the same distance apart or even squat a little.

and shock settings will be different between the two. Since a car setup for a drag radial wants separation, your rebound will be use to control the planting of the tires (usually a bit lose) and you’ll use compression to keep it planted (tighter). A slick is kind of the opposite of that (sorta).

oh.. and slicks stick better than drag radials on the street.
Thanks brotha, yup, the shocks are a must have and are next on my list as soon as I can get some cash rolling my way again. Things have been a bit slow at the shop and my production bonus is non existent at the moment, ugh..

Quick Reply: Lowered And hooking hard?