Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension Refresh - 1998 LS1 Trans AM Convertible - 132k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020 | 11:10 AM
Teching In

Default Suspension Refresh - 1998 LS1 Trans AM Convertible - 132k Miles

Greetings Fellow LS1TEchers

I have a 1998 Non WS6 Trans AM Convertible with the original stock LS1 motor. I use the vehicle for pleasure driving almost exclusively with the top down here in So Cal. I enjoy the LS1 motor which is very strong but I would like to refresh the suspension as the vehicle is now 22 years old. I am not sure of the status of the original; shocks and struts as I am the third owner of the vehicle. It drives fairly well from a suspension perspective but wanted to get your opinion on what suspension changes/upgrades is the "Juice Worth The Squeeze" given how I drive. I would like the ride to be a bit firmer and the cornering to be a tad better. I know there are a lot of suspension components beyond shocks/struts and upgrades exits for things like Sway Bars, Control Arms, Panhard Bars, Springs etc., and much money can be spent.

Where should I start and how far should I go. What are the best brands, etc. I would prefer to not lower the vehicle, I am willing to invest without the ride becoming too stiff/harsh.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Big Ed
eca1987

Last edited by eca1987; 11-07-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2020 | 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Speak with Sam Strano. He's a vendor here and can help you with your needs
Old 11-13-2020 | 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

And here I am.

The trouble is all day, every day, people want specific answer to general questions. There are lots of parts, and lots of money can be spent if you want, or don't want to but aren't careful of understanding of what oyyu are trying to do. On top of that no two people view things like "value" or "bang for the buck" the same way. But often they say things like that but realy mean "cheap", but don't want to admit that. I have no issue with any of those things, trouble is I can't read minds. And if you tell me you want something good, generally it won't be the cheapest option.

Basically, the stock shocks suck. I start there. If you want to lower it, we can do springs. If you want it to ride the BEST it can then the best shock with stock springs is frankly the best ride. But the stock stuff is so bad good shocks with a GOOD (not any, but something like my) lowering spirng will still ride much better than what's on a lot of cars to start with. You can add sway bars (again they need to be the correct size), any old set of bars isn't necessarily an upgrade, and can often be too large in the rear of the car. Bars don't hurt ride either. So if you want stock ride height, or the BEST ride, then you stay on stock springs, add really good shocks, and put bars on, that's how you knock out the biggest issues to improve the car's behavior and handling.

From there, there are lots of options on other things. But many are fooled into parts that people say you NEED which often just isn't true.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
The following users liked this post:
xny1989 (11-20-2020)
Old 11-14-2020 | 04:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks for you reply Sam!

I agree with everything you had to say. And taking your advise I think I will invest in new Shocks/Struts. Given your experience, what brands/models would you recommend given my driving habits? Koni, Bilstein, Viking, KYB, etc. Also, given that I am not looking at lowering the vehicle and stay with stock springs, should the original springs be replaced with new ones stock replacements. Over time, 22 years now, can the stock springs stop performing as they should. Also, what is the difference between variable and constant rate springs and is a particular type just for Front or Back. Rock Auto offers several brands of stock height springs, Moog, Huskey, AC Delco, LESJÖFORS. If Strano does not offer stock height Any recommendations

As for sway bars, although I have a Trans AM it is not a WS6 so I believe the Sway Bars are 30mm Front and 19mm Rear. Looking at your website stranoparts.com it looks like you offer replacement sway bars at 35mm and 22mm. Would this be the correct fit for my vehicle/driving habits. Looks like these come with End Links/Bushings.

Also, any other complimentary parts to consider like bump stops, etc.

Let me know your thoughts,

Big Ed
eca1987
Old 11-14-2020 | 05:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't know That's why we would need to talk. The problem is you ask me what I recommend based on your driving but don't really say how you're driving the car or where or enough for me to go on. And then we go into 25 other things beyond that.

But What everybody does is they overcomplicate things after oversimplifying them. They don't define to me how they drive or what they want or anything like that, and then they ask about 25 other things. It's not much different than going into your doctor because you don't feel well but then you just kind of tell the doctor you don't feel well, but not what's more specifically bothering you. Did you twist your ankle? Are you running a fever? Do you have a funny rash? It helps for them to know that sort of stuff, and then work from there. But then additionally the corollary is that you start asking them well what about this pill in that pill and all these other pills, before they ever get an idea what's going on with you. Well that's how it works with cars. Parts are medicine. You don't need every medicine just because they make it. We're trying to deal with what ails the car.

Please trust me when I tell you that one of the worst things you can do is read too much. I hate to say it but the problem is everybody with an opinion and a password can tell you something that's might sound like it's based in reality, but often isn't.

I already mentioned to you where I would start. We would have to discuss what brand might be most suitable for how you use the car. I don't know that well enough yet.
Old 11-14-2020 | 09:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks again Sam,

Please let me know how to get a hold of you to have a conversation.

Thanks,

Big Ed
eca1987
Old 11-14-2020 | 09:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Old 11-20-2020 | 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another set of items to consider on an older car is replacement of control arm bushings and ball joints. I did that recently, along with Strano springs and Koni STR's all around and the car handles great

Quick Reply: Suspension Refresh - 1998 LS1 Trans AM Convertible - 132k Miles