Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Good video on Torque Arm drag Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Good video on Torque Arm drag Suspension

This guy knows his stuff. This is a part 2 of his video on f body torque arm suspension tuning. He also has other videos on DA shock tuning. Worth a look for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Shaun Sweeney (03-03-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 524 Likes on 405 Posts

Yes, he has a lot of very good suspension videos. I have knocked almost a full second off my 1/4 mile times from what I learned from his videos.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bspeck82
This guy knows his stuff. This is a part 2 of his video on f body torque arm suspension tuning. He also has other videos on DA shock tuning. Worth a look for sure.Kevin Wilson TA F body
I've watched a few of his videos. I like that he is in no rush to get through the video, and actually explains what he is saying.

Sadly, my car (rear suspension-wise) was pretty much setup exactly how he says (and completely different also), with no luck whatsoever in the traction department...lol.

A car that runs well into the 9's, and traps 148 mph, shouldn't be sixty footing in the HIGH 1.7's...but it does, lol.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I've watched a few of his videos. I like that he is in no rush to get through the video, and actually explains what he is saying.

Sadly, my car (rear suspension-wise) was pretty much setup exactly how he says (and completely different also), with no luck whatsoever in the traction department...lol.

A car that runs well into the 9's, and traps 148 mph, shouldn't be sixty footing in the HIGH 1.7's...but it does, lol.
how is your susoension setup?
Old 01-26-2022, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

how is your susoension setup?
It's been in several different configurations, several shock, pinion angle, and LCA settings, even settings rear shocks "backwards" as you did, with no luck...
But...I've never addressed the FRONT suspension (aside from swaybar delete), and will be doing so as soon as I decide on struts (and their availability) for the front. I also have a pair of those Moog CC635 rear springs that were recommended to you in your "T/A separation" thread. They were only 40 bucks, so figured it wouldn't hurt to try them.

I have a radial prep test session I am going to on March 12th, so trying to actually "test" and "tune" that day, which will be much more productive (and FUN) if I am hooking, lol. At 148 mph, I "should" be capable of running 9.20's-9.30's, not 9.60's. I'm literally losing 3-3.5 tenths in the first 60 feet by not using transbrake. It's went 1.42 sixty foot when it had nitrous.

I was thinking about trying to run a local 10.00 Index class, but I'd absolutely need the transbrake with a Pro Tree.

I actually started a thread yesterday afternoon with all the car details, slo-mo and real-time videos, angle measurements, heights, etc...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&goto=newpost

FWIW, My issues started when I tried 28x9 Hoosier DBR's, instead of my normal 275/60 ET STREET R's. The Mickeys weren't available when I needed tires, so had to try what was available...This year I'll be running M/T Pro Bracket Radials, 28x10.5

Last edited by rel3rd; 01-26-2022 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rel3rd
It's been in several different configurations, several shock, pinion angle, and LCA settings, even settings rear shocks "backwards" as you did, with no luck...
But...I've never addressed the FRONT suspension (aside from swaybar delete), and will be doing so as soon as I decide on struts (and their availability) for the front. I also have a pair of those Moog CC635 rear springs that were recommended to you in your "T/A separation" thread. They were only 40 bucks, so figured it wouldn't hurt to try them.

I have a radial prep test session I am going to on March 12th, so trying to actually "test" and "tune" that day, which will be much more productive (and FUN) if I am hooking, lol. At 148 mph, I "should" be capable of running 9.20's-9.30's, not 9.60's. I'm literally losing 3-3.5 tenths in the first 60 feet by not using transbrake. It's went 1.42 sixty foot when it had nitrous.

I was thinking about trying to run a local 10.00 Index class, but I'd absolutely need the transbrake with a Pro Tree.

I actually started a thread yesterday afternoon with all the car details, slo-mo and real-time videos, angle measurements, heights, etc...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...2&goto=newpost

FWIW, My issues started when I tried 28x9 Hoosier DBR's, instead of my normal 275/60 ET STREET R's. The Mickeys weren't available when I needed tires, so had to try what was available...This year I'll be running M/T Pro Bracket Radials, 28x10.5
So I'm learning that slowing down the reaction of the car is key for me. Make the rears stiff and the front stiff on compression to make the front stay up and medium soft on rebound. This is what is working for me so far. I cut a 7.0 8th mile the other night and a 1.53 60 foot. Little by little it's going down. I was burning out the driver rear after the launch. Likely due to passenger Rear squat, So I purchased a drag bar and will be ditching the bags and see how that works for me.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

So I'm learning that slowing down the reaction of the car is key for me. Make the rears stiff and the front stiff on compression to make the front stay up and medium soft on rebound. This is what is working for me so far. I cut a 7.0 8th mile the other night and a 1.53 60 foot. Little by little it's going down. I was burning out the driver rear after the launch. Likely due to passenger Rear squat, So I purchased a drag bar and will be ditching the bags and see how that works for me.
Glad one of us is making progress. Happy for you.

Even with a spool, mine would make a pretty hard right turn (almost like a sideways HOP) on launch, prior to my BMR drag bar install, lol.

Here's 3 shaky in car vids.
1st is nitrous a few years ago
2nd is turbo with too much launch boost, and not enough traction, lol
3rd is 4# with drag bar and new ET Street R's

200 shot of Nitrous:

11.5# of attempted Turbo launch, lol:

4#, BMR Xtreme Drag Bar, 275/60 ET Street R;s:

Old 01-26-2022, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Do drag radials change anything vs slicks?
AFAIK slicks = squat, and dr's want separation, so in essence i would assume the answer is no, this advice is all good, the setup would only differ
however, i've been wrong before.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fucter
Do drag radials change anything vs slicks?
AFAIK slicks = squat, and dr's want separation, so in essence i would assume the answer is no, this advice is all good, the setup would only differ
however, i've been wrong before.
Good question...

The Hoosier DBR and the M/T PBR are both SLICKS, but both are also RADIAL SLICKS, lol.

So...that cleared that up, lol. (not really)
Old 02-17-2022, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

FWIW, first time to track with new Mickey Thompson 28x10.5 Pro Bracket Radials, Viking Crusader front struts and springs, rear LCA lowered back to bottom hole on my Trick Chassis 9", and 3rd adjustment (baseline, plus 2 changes), got myself a new best ET and sixty foot...

Previous best, footbraking because it wouldn't go down the track off the transbrake, was 9.68@148 (1.78 sixty foot)

New best, with some more shock and tire pressure tuning needed: 9.32@147 (1.37 sixty foot)

Front struts: 17C / 8R
Rear shocks: 18C / 14R
Tire Pressure: 21psi
Launch RPM: 3,400
Launch Boost: 7psi

DEFINITELY hitting the rear tires now, and DEFINITELY getting rear separation... I do believe I need to seriously slow the front end extension down though...lol. Although it hooked, carried them barely off the ground and set down very easy.

Last pass, I tried raising 2 step up to 3500, but it seemed to blow right past that as I stayed on the TB too long.
It hit 4200 rpm, and 14.5# of boost, LOL. I doubt it will EVER hook at those 2 numbers, being 4100+ pounds...

My son made a video of the day's adventures, with all 4 passes recorded.

Quick Reply: Good video on Torque Arm drag Suspension